Wheel size recommendations

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

yokomomr4bx

Re: Wheel size recommendations

Post by yokomomr4bx »

Gazza_DJ wrote:RE003's are not available in the UK.

If it's a road car that sees very little winter usage, than the AD08R is the best choice for performance for 16's.

I'd take a Kumho KU31 over a T1R any day. Similar price and better performance in the wet.

17inch wheels open up the choices massively.

Unfortunately it's still a daily throughout the year, as much as I would be inclined toward the ADO8R, it really isn't sensible. Hadn't heard of the KU31, much appreciated, I will do some research!
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

AD08R are great even in rain tbh - I've never driven my MR2 on ice or snow because I think I'd kill myself on any tyres :lol: I'd definitely recommend them as a daily tyre because how often do you need to worry about ice or snow?! You could have a spare set of cheapo wheels with some winter tyres for the colder couple of months to get around it.

It's not worth compromising on driving enjoyment when we only experience difficult conditions for maybe 10% of the year IMO \:D/
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

It's not wet weather grip for performance driving I'm concerned about or even ice and snow, it's more for the times when I frequently get caught out on a long haul in torrential rain (usually at night) that limits me to barely 50, as great as the AD08R may be, I refuse to believe it can clear standing water as efficiently as the Firestorms I'm currently wearing or even the T1R, the AD08R simply doesn't have the channelling for it.

I will gladly eat humble pie, however, if someone can say they would confidently plow through standing water and driving rain on what is bordering on a semi-slick.
CalMac

Post by CalMac »

Fair enough mate, all preference tbh.

As soon as you fit AD08’s you won’t go back though!

I used to run T1R’s on the MX5 and ended up just giving them to my mate because I didn’t like them at all in the wet - dry performance wasn’t bad for the price but obviously it’s a different car.. Rainsports are worth a look in maybe? They’re an impressive wet tyre for the price.
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

One day I will feel the goodness of the AD08R :lol:

yeh I really haven't been impressed by them in the past, I think I'm going to try the Kumho KU31, seem to be a very well reviewed tyre in the sizes I'm after.

Slightly different, but I assume people running 245 section rears are using coilovers or offsets and flared arches?
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

Nope. Had 245/40R17 on the rear, only needed to lightly massage the inner lip a tad. Lowered on black Bilsteins and TRD springs.
kirk

Post by kirk »

I run a 245/40/17 tyre on the rear on mine. Lowered on Eibachs with black bilsteins with no arch mods. My offsets aren't that aggressive and I'm only running an 8" rear.

No scrubbing. When I switch over to the KW's that may well change.
yokomomr4bx

Post by yokomomr4bx »

Great info, thanks guys :thumleft:
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Can confirm that on very wet day at Bedford autodrome that AD08R's do not like standing water at all. I've also had some fairly hairy moments on the motorway with standing water.

Plus the sidewalls make the ride harder and they make a tonne of road noise. I do like the dry grip they give and the turnin but I wouldn't call them brilliant as a daily tyre.

I'm keeping mine on the 16's but I'm going to get Michelin PS4's on my 17's instead for something a bit more road biased.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Running Hankook Ventus Evo2 205x45 16" at the front and they are very good. nice and direct, good grip in the wet, no problems with ice or snow etc.

At the rear had nankang ns-2r 225/45 16". not quite as good in the wet as the fronts but still very good and not at all an issue.
Also had some kumho's (can't remember exact model) 225/45 and they did very well. In the wet they were slightly more slippy than the fronts but not by too much.
replaced them with hankook ventus prime 2. These seem as good as the fronts and are doing well. though only done a couple of thousand k on them so not sure on full life yet.

the rears when they wear out will be going wider to 245. might even entertain some P-Zero £200/tyre rears.
For daily driving the wet grip is a critical thing, wouldn't entertain less than a B grade.

rims are 7j/8j +38et

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”