Coilovers

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Race Idiot

Re: Coilovers

Post by Race Idiot »

I've got a set of exactly the same size wheels that I haven't fitted yet, running coilovers also.

I'm gonna try and check the fronts for clearance first before I get some tyres fitted.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

juliankv73 wrote:
raptor95GTS wrote:juliankv73 - any spacers needed with that combo you have?

Hi buddy, no spacers, no rubbing or fouling of suspension

I've had this set up on 2 mr2's now and it's on my v6 mr2 :)

I previously ran 17x 8j front and 9j rear ET35 with no rubbing etc either or spacers.

looks like Tein Flex is now Flex Z http://www.tein.co.uk/srch/uk_search.ph ... em=default Wonder if they've changed dimensions on the struts...
rgb

Post by rgb »

ive got the same tyre sizes . I don't know what the offset is . it was on cusco coilovers which were worn out . ive been putting tein coilovers on every night this week and the wheels don't fit. it will need spacers but they were flush with the outside of the car so maybe needs new wheels. when it gets to 10 oclock I give up .
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

So I found out my coilovers are gouging a nice groove into the inside sidewalls of my AD08R's on my 16's

TBF I should've checked the clearance after asking for -2.0 degrees of camber, plus they are like +30 8J

Just ordered some ARP wheelstuds and I've got some 5mm hubcentric spacers that were made up a while ago.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

Race Idiot wrote:So I found out my coilovers are gouging a nice groove into the inside sidewalls of my AD08R's on my 16's

TBF I should've checked the clearance after asking for -2.0 degrees of camber, plus they are like +30 8J

Just ordered some ARP wheelstuds and I've got some 5mm hubcentric spacers that were made up a while ago.

hi, what coilovers are you running? ET30 even for a 8j has more clearance inside so thats worrying.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

raptor95GTS wrote:
Race Idiot wrote:So I found out my coilovers are gouging a nice groove into the inside sidewalls of my AD08R's on my 16's

hi, what coilovers are you running? ET30 even for a 8j has more clearance inside so thats worrying.

Depends on how the camber is set. Most coilovers have slightly slotted mounting holes for the hub, which means you have a degree or so adjustment at the hub. Adding negative camber here will move the top of the tyre closer to the coilover. Typically AD08R's come up a bit wider for a given 'stated' width than most road tyres as well.

I have 7.5inch ET31 on the front, and the clearance to my coilover is minimal. There was only *just* enough room for the recovery guy to squeeze the strap between the wheel and the coilover.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I've got H&R coilovers, but they are on TRD topmounts so no adjustment from the top. Like Gazza said they have a slotted holes on the hub bolts.

I did buy a set of those Willhelm raceworks topmounts which looked like they would move the strut away from the wheel somewhat but I think either I ordered the wrong parts or I've lost something as they'd been sitting around for a while.

Anyway I've got the arp studs on order and I already have some hubcentric 5mm spacers
benjo

Post by benjo »

Thought I post a update,so my last setup was koni inserts and what I believe
Koni lowering springs,I was worried that going to coilovers would be a lot
Harsher ride and the konis where really hard ride even on soft setting
Got to say miester r coilovers are a massive improvement,car is a lot lower
Than it was and the ride is 100% nicer
Also I managed to get my 215/40/17 et35 8j to fit by using camber bolts
To move wheels away from coilover and then camber set on top mount
Not had coilovers before but I’m definitely happy with miester r crd
Too weird to live, to rare to die