4AGZE Blowing Noise

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

Re: 4AGZE Blowing Noise

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I've nòw got my block apart and the head along with piston no.2 has signed of overheating. I will post up pictures later.

The end of the screwdriver that fell in has damaged the top of the piston, but not the dish. The head directly above piston no.2 has also seen damage.

However upon looking online at different images, my piston and head seem to have the ash flake affect from overheating. I had noticed a Misfire before dropping metal in the head so thinking I had issues before. Obviously what fell in did not help, but I need to find out what could have caused that cylinder to overheat...has anyone suffered of running lean with their charger?
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Head gasket was okay, no issues there at all. Obviously damage is visible from alien object that fell in. No excuses, it was my fault and retarded.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

What a mess. :(

New head required and pistons of course and if it's scratched te bores then the engine will basically be scrap.

SC's can run a bit lean from what I remember, but if you are running big pulleys and all that always get it setup on the rolling road as you may need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to get the fuelling right. I had to run one on mine. It was fine, but I did get it setup.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I bought new series 3 pistons today from New Zealand with rings and are OEM so that's a result, but that was the plan anyway, regardless. I've got a spare cylinder head too as there are not different and still bigport.

Yes it's a mess.

The block is actually okay, however before I have it bored for the new oversize pistons I will have the bored double checked, as I don't want to bore a f*cked block. I have a couple of options, one is a spare 4AGZE block and the other is a 20v block with the knock sensor bush drilled to suit.

I will get a hold of a decent wideband AFR and probably a FPR too.

A while ago I did mention about a misfire and it felt like it was running on three, so I'm going to have the injectors tested and cleaned to make sure they are all okay. Spark plugs were broken so that could have caused issues too, but obviously the damage is my fault.

Live and learn. It'll come back stronger and more powerful.

I need replacement knock sensor too though, do you know how may have one?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

I had a problem with injectors on my 4AGE, one wasn't working properly and it would melt a piston. Did it twice before I replaced them all.

You simply cannot buy a knock sensor for the GZE. Absolute hens teeth as your only option is secondhand. Toyota discontinued them years ago now.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Hi Lauren,

Yeah I'm aware Toyota do not make these anymore but someone in NZ may have one.

Interesting about injectors...

I appear to be lucky...a guy in NZ does have one for $60 but my mate in my very own town has 3...and a bare 4AGZE block.
feral4mr2

Post by feral4mr2 »

it comes to a point with gze ecu's and the knock sensor to just ditch the ecu and chuck a aftermarket one on. get it tuned right and no need for knock sensors.
oukie
IMOC Organiser

Post by oukie »

Alex there is a chap in the US who is apparently trying to make knock sensors, there is a facebook group toyota Mr2 supercharged owners club, members from all over the world, but probably the best place to find sc stuff.
Mk1b White T-bar SC 1987, Mk1b White coupe Jan90, Mk1b White coupe Jan90 (spares), Mk1b Mica blue T-bar Mar90, Mk1b Mica blue T-bar,full climate control,Jan90, 5 mk1's :)
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Hi Chris,

Yeah I know I was messaged on the mk1 club about it.

Thankfully I have a replacement but it would be a good idea to get some alternatives!
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

It's running now after my rebuild.

I had an issue with the igniter. I purchase a replacement loom, AFM, ECU and distributor to find those bits had nothing to do with my problem.

I have rare spares now.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”