[Mk2] [Turbo] Using Aircon pipework for water intercooler.

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

sir chad

[Mk2] [Turbo] Using Aircon pipework for water intercooler.

Post by sir chad »

After fitting a bigger intercooler and deleting my Aircon it occurred to me that I could have used the aircon pipework and matrix as the basis for a water to air intercooler.
Has anyone done this??
rev2rich

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Using Aircon pipework for water intercooler.

Post by rev2rich »

Not sure if any one has done it but when I was looking to do my build I found this

https://killerchiller.com/products/univ ... rallel-kit

Using the AC to cool a CC set up to keep the wait down. I was unable to do it as my AC was shot so never went this rooot

Hope this helps Rich
shinny

Post by shinny »

Stock aircon condensors tend to be shot by now anyway, but even a new one is probably not going to do as cool a job as a purpose built charge cooler pre rad. There's also other parts of the aircon system that you'd want to by-pass (evaporator, heat exchanger etc) so it's not as simple as hooking up the core / pump to the aircon lines in engine bay and calling it quits.

You're doing a charge cooler for performance reasons, so do it right or you may as well stick with a SMIC.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

using the lines under the chassis to carry the water to the front isn't a bad shout. Main downside is the pipe is narrow so flow is going to suffer.

The larger the hose the more water there is in the system, you're using the water as a heat sink so more is better.

Proper pre-rad and a decent pump really make or break any CC system. The hose is cheap, very cheap.
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

I didnt use the air con pipework mainly because it looked just to small to me.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

It is tiny, and some of the bends are sharp. Maybe 4-5mm ID, when the 19mm CC hoses are deemed the smaller end of the market.

Return to “Modifications”