How hard is it to replace the sills?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

doctorwedgeworth

How hard is it to replace the sills?

Post by doctorwedgeworth »

Had two different body shops sort out rust and respray over a couple of years but it keeps coming back through the sills, and now it's starting to get the wheel arches. Last body shop told me the paint will eventually come off because the sills have been welded so many times. Not sure how legit that is.

Want to get it sorted it for the summer and have it stick this time. Are they replaceable?
Tsia

Re: How hard is it to replace the sills?

Post by Tsia »

Yes.

https://www.mr2-ben.co.uk/products/1089

I used these, although I didn't need the full length so the welders just cut off the section they needed, then had to make up a few bits for the inner sills.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

The process of replacing a good length of the will is relatively easy for a body shop esp as now they are available to buy. There was also a guy on eBay seling rear half and arch repair pieces.

However once the outer will is cut off it will reveal some box sections that will be sooo rusty and need cutting out and replacing with hand built replacement.

I've all new metal in there then a healthy dose of dynax inside all the cavities should keep the for away for a few years.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

i found out theres always more under the outer sill and its worth fixing. see my thread:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... c&start=80

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”