Suspension upgrade.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

VGB

Suspension upgrade.

Post by VGB »

What would people reccomend for a full upgrade.

Springs and struts yellow billies or bc coilovers.
Change top mounts, tie rods, full bush kit, what else?

I'm torn between keeping my rev5 n/a getting everything done and going for a v6 engine swap in a couple of years or continue looking for a turbo.

I've switched my mind between the two ideas for the last couple of years. I've missed out on a couple of turbos and v6's due to indecisiveness.

Thoughts?
markstevieandmads

Re: Suspension upgrade.

Post by markstevieandmads »

check out tcbparts. The have started stocking uprated suspension at really good prices so give them a bell to see what they are offering.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

I'd be tempted to go for coilovers with the soft spring instead of the rock hard standard offering and then you can set the ride height as you please. Obv if you have wide front wheels then you are limited somewhat.
VGB

Post by VGB »

My wheels aren't to wide only 7 1/2".
I did quite like the idea of the bc coilovers but don't want anything too harsh ride wise.
jon

Post by jon »

I went from yellow Bilsteins with lowering springs to Meister-R coilovers. The coilovers give a more comfortable ride on the softer settings. I highly recommend them over BC coilovers.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Interesting, I've not considered them.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

jon wrote:I went from yellow Bilsteins with lowering springs to Meister-R coilovers. The coilovers give a more comfortable ride on the softer settings. I highly recommend them over BC coilovers.

hey jon, what are your thoughts between the 2, where do you see the differences?
tehdub

Post by tehdub »

What's your budget and what's your use case? Proper coilovers get really expensive really quick. I looked at quantum, yikes! More than I bought a car for, but are a fantastic company. Fortune auto now available in the UK, don't know cost. If all the coilovers I've looked at, the MeisterR GT1 seems the best value for money, but suspension mods are not only about the strut, and they are extremely personal.
VGB

Post by VGB »

It will be used for fast road driving, no intention for track use. One of my aims is for comfort but I'd also like a bit of a drop which I know doesn't really go hand in hand. I was hoping to keep it under £800.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

i put D2 coilovers on mine some 6 yrs ago and still going strong. Under your £800 budget...... just
VGB

Post by VGB »

Any idea how d2's compare against the meister r's?
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Just for reference I have bc coilovers on and I wouldn't rate them at slow speeds. Far from terrible but the lowered springs that were on the car when I bought it gave a more comfortable overall ride. At speed they are pretty good unless road surface is hacked. Cheap and cheerful though.
benjo

Post by benjo »

jon wrote:I went from yellow Bilsteins with lowering springs to Meister-R coilovers. The coilovers give a more comfortable ride on the softer settings. I highly recommend them over BC coilovers.

Good to hear Ive just bought mieseter for mine :thumleft:
Too weird to live, to rare to die
VGB

Post by VGB »

Meister r do seem a good bet from what people have said.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”