leaking driveshaft seals

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rgb

leaking driveshaft seals

Post by rgb »

ive just got my car back from the garage after having a new built engine and while it was out the gearbox was rebuilt . the mechanic said the passenger side driveshaft is weeping oil .when I got it home I jacked it up to have a look and there was no leak and it was dry . I pulled the shaft out and it started leaking then pushed it back in and the leak stopped. is it leaking cause the cars jacked up or is something else wrong . there's a bit of a gap between the metal dust guard and the seal but I couldn't push the shaft in any further .cheers
rainen

Re: leaking driveshaft seals

Post by rainen »

The level of the gearbox oil when filled is above the hole that the driveshafts go into. So pulling them out with a full gearbox will cause the oil to run out immediately. Just monitor and if you see any weeping drain the gearbox oil, pull the driveshaft and replace the seal.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Did they not replace them with nice new OEM seals after rebuild?
rgb

Post by rgb »

it has had new seals and when I said I pulled the shaft out I meant pulled out about 3 mm .I didn't unbolt any thing I just pulled on the shaft and it moved and started leaking .is the shaft supposed to move in and out or what holds it in cheers
rainen

Post by rainen »

Never really pulled one back with the suspension still attached. I've only ever pulled them out fully with the hub released from the suspension at the wheel end. Not sure what movement you get in place but there will be some. In terms of the holding mechanism you just have the length of spine and a C clip on the end that holds it in place. You need a very sharp pull on a lose driveshaft to get it to pull out fully.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”