The Mule

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: The Mule

Post by Martin F »

scotty1982 wrote:Any updates on this? I'd love to see how she is doing now.

If you do ever decide to sell please let me know first. I'd love to have her back. I've missed her far too much.

Unfortunately the paint job looked like it had been done by someone who shouldn't have been in that profession.

The car fell to bits with rot. Drivers door, rear bootlid, rear arches, sides of front bonnet all had servere rust damage. Both the sills were like paper, i could put a screw driver through any part of them with next to no pressure.
Turbo needed a refurb, clutch plate was metal on metal on the clutch cover side (still held 470 bhp though :? ) and the paint job was changing shades in parts. The whole front bumper had a horrible yellow tinge.

I can post pics but they aren't pretty. The car could have been saved but it would have been well in excess of 6k, money i decided to spend on something that i could drive all year round, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the 'mule' is no more... :(

Saying that, the work you and phil paid for looked awesome, some great choices in modifications making it a craking mr2. Both yourself and phil made this mr2 a cracking example, failed only to bad workmanship and me losing my love for the car although if it didn't need so much £££ i woud have kept her for many years yet.. :oops: , Proof in that is buying 2 rear tyres (pro sport 4s), fresh oil and mot just weeks before everything turning sour.

:(
scotty1982

Post by scotty1982 »

Oh my. I am lost for words :cry:

And pretty shocked to be fair. Obviously I owned it when it was pretty much stock and it was a pretty rust free example
Even the mot tester commented on how rust free it was underneath. The rear arches were cut to allow a bigger rear wheel with the wide arches but I tried to protect it all inside the arches to prevent rust. But the bonnet and bootlid never showed signs of rust.

Unfortunately the painter did let me down with a quick job not a perfectionist job. The kit was painted off the car and pearl is notoriously hard to match and he just didn't bother. You could notice the kit all looked more gold then the body.

But I am really shocked about the rust.

The turbo and clutch are nothing to do with me! :eye:

It almost seems like it had a tough life after it left my hands and Phil after me. I don't know, many there were things done in my hands that played a part in her death but nothing that were to my knowledge.

It is a great shame to hear that news
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

scotty1982 wrote:Oh my. I am lost for words :cry:

And pretty shocked to be fair. Obviously I owned it when it was pretty much stock and it was a pretty rust free example
Even the mot tester commented on how rust free it was underneath. The rear arches were cut to allow a bigger rear wheel with the wide arches but I tried to protect it all inside the arches to prevent rust. But the bonnet and bootlid never showed signs of rust.

Unfortunately the painter did let me down with a quick job not a perfectionist job. The kit was painted off the car and pearl is notoriously hard to match and he just didn't bother. You could notice the kit all looked more gold then the body.

But I am really shocked about the rust.

The turbo and clutch are nothing to do with me! :eye:

It almost seems like it had a tough life after it left my hands and Phil after me. I don't know, many there were things done in my hands that played a part in her death but nothing that were to my knowledge.

It is a great shame to hear that news

The rust came through from underneath the paint. All around the edges of the bonnet, around the mounts of the rear spoiler. Both the arches/sills looked ok but when i poked a bubble with my finger it created a hole. I then got a scredriver and anywhere i put pressure on the arch/sill it went through. It looked ok from the outside though mostly.
The drivers door was totally rotten at the bottom, when i tried to repair that the rust went up 2" so it wasn't repairable. I had another door so spent £200 on the correct paint and sprayed it. Although the pearl was perfect the door looked whiter than the rest of the car, i will post a few pics if i can find them...
left sill

this was on the boot, looked like someone placed tools on it...

back bumper had all these cracks

front bumper cracks

bonnet

The door was totally wrecked. In the 2 winters i had the car i put it off the road so i was disappointed with the condition of the door, it had to have rust damage when painted. There is no other explanation as i cut away around 2" from the bottom of the door (full length) before calling it a day and sourcing the paint for another door. I did love this car and i'm sad that this was the outcome. :cry:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

She still looked good from a distance though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5hUmh8beJY
scotty1982

Post by scotty1982 »

Oh my good God. I never saw any of that. The drivers door must of rotted from the inside out because if I had known about it I would of replaced it like I did the passanger door as it had a slight dent on the crease line.
That is a massive shame

Return to “Member Profiles”