1989 Mk1 NA - Bringing it back to life

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

vbaileyuk

1989 Mk1 NA - Bringing it back to life

Post by vbaileyuk »

Hi,

Would welcome some advise from those who have been there before me.

I purchased my Mk.1 new in Feb. '90 and it was my daily driver for many years, but as I had a family it got used less and less. Then about 5 years ago the alternator seized and it got pushed into the garage and has sat there feeling sorry for itself ever since. It's got about 90k on the clock.

Now the kids are teenagers (and thus have as little as possible to do with me - apart from food and cash obviously) I want to get it back on the road.

I think I will have to:

* Fix the alternator.
* Change engine oil & filter.
* New spark plugs.
* Change anti-freeze.
* Drain any residual fuel and change fuel filter.
* Refurbish brake calipers, change fluid, probably change brake hoses too.
* Maybe new pulley and timing belts?

Can anyone advise anything else I might need to do, and suggest the best way to start an engine that hasn't turned over in five years? I have read that after the oil change I should remove the spark plugs and pour a little diesel into each cylinder then turn it over a few times with a ratchet on the crank pulley - then with plugs still out turn it on the starter to make sure I have oil pressure. I recall that the oil pressure wasn't that high on tickover when it was still running, but was OK when the revs were higher when driving.

Thanks in advance.
jimi

Re: 1989 Mk1 NA - Bringing it back to life

Post by jimi »

You may want to think about the tyres as well if it's been sitting on them for 5 years without moving.
You MAY be able to repair the alternator, have a read of this article http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2.html ... &kbartid=3

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”