steel mist grey 187 paint match trouble

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Sbsoulby

steel mist grey 187 paint match trouble

Post by Sbsoulby »

having a few issues trying to get a decent match for this colour, ill not even be able to blend in the difference with this colour, my local paint place has tried a few times to get the colour right, anyone know any companies that can make some a post to me?
abovetherim

Re: steel mist grey 187 paint match trouble

Post by abovetherim »

The way to do it with old paint is to take it to a place that has a spectrometer (?) that can read the colour and give the recipe to match it. You could try any of the places that you would find on google that will make up paint to a code and ship it but they may be working from the same recipe as your paint shop.

If it helps i think that the bulk of your body does look the right colour for SMG so it may be worth trying to find the recipe and compare it to the one your shop used.

I have had good results with colour matching from a code at halfords. So you could get them to mix up a small amount and whilst they are at it you could copy down the measures of each toner etc if you have a helpful guy.

Another thing to note is the year. The colour might be different for later rev where as your colour looks right for rev1/2.
There are some pics on mr2oc for rev3 187 that look like they have the wrong blue hue like your skirts but it may just be the light in the snap.
Sbsoulby

Post by Sbsoulby »

Mines a 1995 rev 3 and followed the code in the door (187)
I can’t imagine my paint has faded so much that there’s that much difference so I’m believing they have the wrong mix
I’m going to take the car to the company I used and see what they can do, if not I guess I will have to find someone who can measure my paint like you suggested
mrtwo-red

Post by mrtwo-red »

is this an import as i had some paint mixed last week for rav 4 and guy said there is only 1 shade for uk but many for other countries , did you ask "are there any VARIANTS " :D
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

I bought some premixed rattle cans I found on ebay. Did a decent enough job of matching but mine's got a few shades on it already.
Sbsoulby

Post by Sbsoulby »

Yeah it’s an import
My local paint shop only has one variant of 187 so I’ll need to find something somehow to get a better match

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”