www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
MK2 MR2 V6 Buyers Guide.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 Engine Swaps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madabout
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: MK2 MR2 V6 Buyers Guide. Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Evening All,

I am looking to buy a MR2 V6 as I know Woodsports are pretty booked up right now and seen a few for sale.

I was wondering if there is a buyers guide for what a prospective buyer should look for one that's done on here or elsewhere on the web as I have struggled to find anything. Questions I have -

1. Ease of maintenance and spares for the 1MZ V6 once fitted in a MR2.
2. Problem areas to look out for or ask about.
3. How free revving is the engine? What is the max revs given it is a large 3 litre engine?
4. Will the UK rev5 gearbox cope with the 3 litre engine or is the turbo gearbox recommended?
6. Any off the shelf performance modifications available?
7. General secondhand availability of Camry 1MZ engine spares, etc. - what is it like?
8. Anything I have missed and should look for?

I have 2x MR2s at the moment. A REV3 and REV4 JDM Turbos. I also have a MK1 MX5 running ITBs and having been in a V6 it is the sound that has captured my interest.

Thanks in advance for your help.
MRV6
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 8

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 V6

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: MK2 MR2 V6 Buyers Guide. Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Madabout wrote:
Evening All,

I am looking to buy a MR2 V6 as I know Woodsports are pretty booked up right now and seen a few for sale.

I was wondering if there is a buyers guide for what a prospective buyer should look for one that's done on here or elsewhere on the web as I have struggled to find anything. Questions I have -

1. Ease of maintenance and spares for the 1MZ V6 once fitted in a MR2.
2. Problem areas to look out for or ask about.
3. How free revving is the engine? What is the max revs given it is a large 3 litre engine?
4. Will the UK rev5 gearbox cope with the 3 litre engine or is the turbo gearbox recommended?
6. Any off the shelf performance modifications available?
7. General secondhand availability of Camry 1MZ engine spares, etc. - what is it like?
8. Anything I have missed and should look for?

I have 2x MR2s at the moment. A REV3 and REV4 JDM Turbos. I also have a MK1 MX5 running ITBs and having been in a V6 it is the sound that has captured my interest.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi mate, depending on what you budget is? The 1mz vvti is a decent choice of engine. You can source them from a Lexus RX300 and will happily mate up with a n/a gearbox. It's a pretty lazy engine topping out at around 5800 rpm. TRD did a supercharger for the 1mz but they are a rare as hens teeth on a hen with no teeth.

Supercharged 1Mz-Fe

Where abouts in the country are you? I can take you out in mine if your local to County Durham.
Madabout
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Thanks for the reply and info.

I've bought one that I get today. A 1MZ V6 MK2. Enthusiast owned built by Woodsports in 2014.

Looking forward to getting it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 Engine Swaps All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: