Is this a characteristic of the mk2 or..?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2_maverick

Is this a characteristic of the mk2 or..?

Post by mr2_maverick »

I have realised that with the MR layout I have to enter a corner slower but I can accerelate through it and carry a lot of speed. If you enter the corner faster the car understeers. I'm comparing this to something like a Ford Focus st170 because with that car I felt like I could enter a corner faster but not being able to accelerate too much through it. Obviously you always have to be slow in fast out but being light at the front is it a characteristic of the MR layout to enter slower than say an ST but get out faster? Or am I just sh*t and I need to improve my technique. :mrgreen:
gavsdavs

Re: Is this a characteristic of the mk2 or..?

Post by gavsdavs »

Yes, the weight layout means you have to handle it differently. A front engined car will understeer a bit less because there's more weight and therefore grip on the fronts where an MR will push straight. Conversely, you get more rear grip because your engine is over the rears and helping give you grip/traction there.

Be careful finding the limits, when an MR2 lets go it will slide then turn around more quickly than front-engined cars - the engine acts like a pendulum and when you lose traction it's hard to get it back again unless you know whats coming and react to it quickly.

I think MR driving is a bit more precise/planned and subsequently rewarding as you have to think ahead a bit more to avoid braking in corners.
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="gavsdavs"]Yes, the weight layout means you have to handle it differently. A front engined car will understeer a bit less because there's more weight and therefore grip on the fronts where an MR will push straight. Conversely, you get more rear grip because your engine is over the rears and helping give you grip/traction there.

Be careful finding the limits, when an MR2 lets go it will slide then turn around more quickly than front-engined cars - the engine acts like a pendulum and when you lose traction it's hard to get it back again unless you know whats coming and react to it quickly.

I think MR driving is a bit more precise/planned and subsequently rewarding as you have to think ahead a bit more to avoid braking in corners.[/quote]

Yeah I have found that when the mr2 understeers and if you let go off the accelerator the rear end starts to come around, only way to fix it is to give it more throttle and counter steer. Initially I thought an MR layout would be superior in all aspects I.e. Higher entry speed and higher exit speed.
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

mr2_maverick wrote:
Yeah I have found that when the mr2 understeers and if you let go off the accelerator the rear end starts to come around, only way to fix it is to give it more throttle and counter steer. Initially I thought an MR layout would be superior in all aspects I.e. Higher entry speed and higher exit speed.

You can certainly carry lots of speed into corners with mr cars, you just can't be as clumsy with brakes or throttle like in a front engined car
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="gavsdavs"][quote="mr2_maverick"]
Yeah I have found that when the mr2 understeers and if you let go off the accelerator the rear end starts to come around, only way to fix it is to give it more throttle and counter steer. Initially I thought an MR layout would be superior in all aspects I.e. Higher entry speed and higher exit speed.[/quote]
You can certainly carry lots of speed into corners with mr cars, you just can't be as clumsy with brakes or throttle like in a front engined car[/quote]

I don't really brake mid corner and always try to have a smooth throttle input but if I try to enter a corner in an mr2 at around the same speed as the Ford, the mr2 understeers. I don't know what I am doing wrong then if you can carry lots of speed into the corners. I try to find the right line.
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Have you checked alignment? What sort of tyres are you running on both cars? What are the conditions of the bushings/shocks?

You can corner pretty hard in an SW but you really cant just chuck it into a corner like a hothatch due to the way the weight is distributed.

On track I was instructed to lift the throttle slightly to push the weight bias towards the front wheels to aid turn-in instead of keeping a steady throttle.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”