Ignition coil

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

apk

Ignition coil

Post by apk »

It's been a long time between posts for me - my car's been asleep in the garage for the last year (since I've got another daily driver now) and I decided to do some TLC on my MR2. New red leather interior, sound deadening under the carpet etc.
I've been trying to tidy up the engine bay - specifically the tangle of pipes and wiring over the gearbox - and I found an MSD blaster coil bolted to the shock tower, tucked up out of sight. It seems to have been wired in on the low-tension side but no HT lead connected. The car is running with the standard coil. I have no idea why someone would install this and then not use it, unless they simply found the HT connector wouldn't fit?
Question is, is it even be possible to have 2 functioning coils installed at the same time? What are the chances that it works if I get a new HT lead for it? and if it is 'live' how come the exposed HT terminal hasn't shorted out against something long ago and incinerated me?

Adrian

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”