Rev 4 NA, Discs and Pads

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Andy200bhp

Rev 4 NA, Discs and Pads

Post by Andy200bhp »

Good Evening Everyone,

I need some new discs and pads all round, I don’t need anything high spec as the car gets used rarely and only when the weather is good (mainly as the tbar leaks lol)

I have a 96 NA, UK Car

Where is best and what sizes as I noticed there’s a couple of options?

Thank you in advance
androo007

Re: Rev 4 NA, Discs and Pads

Post by androo007 »

Standard is best buddy. Maybe porterfield pads but they're really dusty.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

OEM discs and pads or at least a quality brand OEM equivalent. Brembo, Pagid, Mintex etc.
If you want lower dust then EBC red stuff increase the stopping power and are lower dust pads BUT........

Ideally you better results with the red stuff pads if the discs aren't brand new. So you could buy some cheap pads and new discs then once they're bedded in switch to the red stuff pads and follow the bedding in procedure.

Unless you really push the the car OEM or equivalent should be enough though.

Some thing else to consider is a brake fluid flush if it hasn't been done in the last 3 years. Also if you want a firmer pedal then braided hoses will make a massive improvement on the old rubber hoses even with OEM discs and pads.
Last edited by abovetherim on Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

androo007 wrote:Standard is best buddy. Maybe porterfield pads but they're really dusty.

I will be looking to replace the carbotecs i have when they are due. I was going to try porterfields but you are the first person ive read to say they are dusty.

Are they as bad as carbotecs?

My carbotecs have had great stopping power, however i cant put up with the noise and squeals from them anymore hence why i wouldnt replace them like for like. How are the porterfields?
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

The porterfield R4-S were less dusty than my current carbotecs. Even then the dust that the porterfields cleans up much easier than the stuff that the carbotecs make

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”