Strange 4th gear issue after polybushing front engine mount

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gips

Strange 4th gear issue after polybushing front engine mount

Post by gips »

Hello,
my car developed strange problem after i replaced the front engine mount with a polyurethane one. The car is with 3SGTE engine conversion, but i am still using the N/A gearbox. The problem was that the torque generated from the turbo engine destroyed the N/A bush, which is quite different than the Turbo one, hence i needed an upgrade. As soon as i have put the polyurethane bush, i noticed the 4th gear became very hard to engage especially at high RPM. If anyone has any ideas, as to what could have contributed to this feel free to comment. For now my theory is that the engine sits slightly to the left, or to the right, or at a different horizontal angle creating some kind of tension on the shift mechanism, but i am yet to prove it.
caldridge7

Re: Strange 4th gear issue after polybushing front engine mount

Post by caldridge7 »

Hi mate, all I have to say is that gearbox not going into 4th has nothing to do with the polly Bush.

Separate issues... Recently done gearbox oil?
Check everything you did over again to make sure you didn't disturb anything.
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

check the shifter bushes on the end of the cables. very prob worn out. also the little cube between the 2 shifter arms on the box, this wears on 2 sides and needs turning round to restore factory tolerance.

Brooks Racing Developments do some lovely shifter bushings for the end of the cables. £20 delivered and it will transform the shift of any mr2 even if it's not that bad to start with. best £20 ever spent on my car.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

I would also be looking at the slave cylinder attached to the gearbox as this is in an area near the front mount.
gips

Post by gips »

All of those have been verified. I use spherical bearings instead of brass bushes, and the slave and main are quite new. Also i didn't touch anything , except the bush. I suspect that the problem may have been introduced by the mistake i did to only polybush the front one. The engine seems to jump quite violently in the bay. Anyway i noticed i cannot engage the gear also while in neutral. If i try to engage, it simply does not go in. If i go through another gear it goes in, but not always sometimes i'm still blocked, so it looks like something inside the box may have been damaged, but its very strange that there are no grinding noises. It simply refuses to go in. I can feel the cables trying to bend slightly ,if i push too hard, but the gear does not go in. Its as if there is a wall there. Anyway its 4th gear, so no big deal for now, probably will drive like that for a while, until i decide to open the gearbox.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”