Under the plastics undertray

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2_maverick

Under the plastics undertray

Post by mr2_maverick »

Hi, could you guys please tell me what is covered by the plastic tray under the mk2? Is it heater pipes etc ?

Thanks
Tsia

Re: Under the plastics undertray

Post by Tsia »

...which plastic tray? The one in the frunk? The undertrays?
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="Tsia"]...which plastic tray? The one in the frunk? The undertrays?[/quote]

Yes under the frunk as well as the plastic trays directly under the seats.

These bits here:
https://m.imgur.com/3BSjNcq

What do they cover ? I am sure I drove a long distance on the motorway (50+ miles) with a broken undertray which accumulated snow/ice which pressed against whatever pipes there are. Only realised once I slowed down because that's when I could hear something scraping. So I want to know what I likely damaged. My heater seems to be working fine and car maintains engine temperature + hand brake is fine too. Will check coolant level tomorrow once car is cold to see if I have lost any coolant.

Thanks
shinny

Post by shinny »

From memory...

Under the cabin: Fuel tank, radiator hoses, handbrake cables
Behind the front bumper: Radiator, radiator fan(s), possible aircon condensor
Inside the frunk: Steering column, power steering pump and driver, clutch master cylinder, possibly ABS actuator, wiper motor
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="shinny"]From memory...

Inside the frunk: Steering column, power steering pump and driver, clutch master cylinder, possibly ABS actuator, wiper motor[/quote]

Just checked and it's the bits towards the rear of the cabin that's broken. The plastic undertray under the frunk is fine.
How weak are the radiator hoses? :oops:
shinny

Post by shinny »

mr2_maverick wrote:
shinny wrote:From memory...

Inside the frunk: Steering column, power steering pump and driver, clutch master cylinder, possibly ABS actuator, wiper motor

Just checked and it's the bits towards the rear of the cabin that's broken. The plastic undertray under the frunk is fine.
How weak are the radiator hoses? :oops:

If you're getting that area full of snow etc, your handbrake mechanism freezing is the main issue. The radiator pipes are metal so will survive a short period of time without the undertrays but, given the amount of salt around right now, I'dm advise getting the pipes etc. cleaned up when you sort out the undertray.
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

The steering rack is also exposed if you lose the central undertray.
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="shinny"][quote="mr2_maverick"][quote="shinny"]From memory...

Inside the frunk: Steering column, power steering pump and driver, clutch master cylinder, possibly ABS actuator, wiper motor[/quote]

How weak are the radiator hoses? :oops:[/quote]

If you're getting that area full of snow etc, your handbrake mechanism freezing is the main issue. The radiator pipes are metal so will survive a short period of time without the undertrays but, given the amount of salt around right now, I'dm advise getting the pipes etc. cleaned up when you sort out the undertray.[/quote]

I have cleared the snow from the handbrake cables, I'm guessing these are the rubber covered cables nearer to the driver's side? The snow is still pressed against the left hand side where I think the radiator hose is. It's so compressed and hardened that I can't take it out without pushing a screwdriver in or something sharp so I'll just leave it to melt out then wash the underside. do you think the force at motorway speeds is enough to break the pipes? The maintains temperature fine but I'll check the coolant tomorrow once it's properly cold.

Handbrake cables seem ok but it's dark right now.
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="gavsdavs"]The steering rack is also exposed if you lose the central undertray.[/quote]

I don't think it's that far tbh. It's much nearer to the engine/gearbox where I can see some rubber pipes/cables with rubber insulation near the driver's side.
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

How should I wash the bits underneath now? I don't have a four point ramp. Some parts seem really hard to get to wash the salt out. :mad:
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

used one of them brushed that goes on the end of a hose (not pressure washing just hose) and scrubbed the underside of the sills and the arches with that. then just spray with normal hose jet for the easier to get to parts.

The stuff under the plastics is normally fine and doesn't seem that prone to rusting or getting wet. outside of loose plastics that is.

don't forget to spray the radiator too, they love to rot.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”