knock sensor

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

autobody

knock sensor

Post by autobody »

Question for the SC owners - is there any other knock sensor that will work with the 4agze?

I am getting a error code 52 and I am unable to find a replacement, I have contacted Toyota and been told its discontinued, this is the part number I have 89615-17010.

I think it may be a case of holding out for a used one but I would be interested to know what others have done.

p.s. if you do have a spare knock sensor I will be happy to buy it. :thumleft:
kaiowas

Re: knock sensor

Post by kaiowas »

TCB sell various knock sensors for Toyotas, I'm pretty sure one of them will be the right one although none of them are listed for the 4A-GZE

Think it might be the QIC 916 although it's probably best to give them a call and check rather than ordering one blindly.
autobody

Post by autobody »

Thanks, just given tcb a call and are currently checking if it fits.
autobody

Post by autobody »

TCB have said the QIC 916 knock sensor will not work as it has different frequency readings. They don't stock 4agze knock sensors.

But I have now got a second hand unit. (Hope it works) I am going to temp to fit this in on Sunday.

Can I ask if other have done this job what was required? Is it accessable under the car? Do I need to remove any items to get to the knock sensor. Any tips appreciated. :thumleft:
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

From memory it should be easy enough and accessible from underneath without removing anything although some contortion may be required, you should certainly be able to get the socket on, I just can remember how easy it is to find enough space to swing a ratchet. Oh and make sure you have a deep socket of the appropriate size, a standard socket won't cut it.

Also take care with the wiring/connector when unplugging the old one. Not sure if I've just been unlucky but all the GZE looms I've had have been particularly fragile in this area.
autobody

Post by autobody »

Update: replacment knock sensor fitted and looks to have done the trick. I have a small coolent leak at the front so only took the car behind my house. Drives much much better and no engine light.

To confirm, 27mm deep socket used and a small extension. Found I had just about enough room.

Thanks for your help kaiowas :thumleft:
autobody

Post by autobody »

Here is a pic of the knock sensor.

Both had Toyota markings on them. The top one came off the car and the bottom one was a replacement. Look similar but the bottom one was longer slightly.

jayelem

Post by jayelem »

could do with one myself!
jon_st205

Post by jon_st205 »

Let me dig around, I'm sure I have one somewhere.
jayelem

Post by jayelem »

ive even crossed my balls in hope!
jayelem

Post by jayelem »

Bank holiday bump!
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Has anyone else got a spare?
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I bought a GZE knock sensor second hand in the end. My mate who is also has a genuine white over silver JDM GZE aw11 had two spares as well. Not cheap.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”