[Mk2] [NA] seat sag!!!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mrtwo-red

[Mk2] [NA] seat sag!!!

Post by mrtwo-red »

so i have started to do some bits to the v6 mr2 and the 1 real mod was the seat although they are in fantastic condition for a 23 yr old car i didnt like the seat as it had obviuosly over time and bodies , sagged so i looked at leather ( not good enough condition and prob with the same issue or change them for say gt86 etc , but i love the seats lumbar , bolster adjust etc so i decided to remove the drivers seat and see what i could do.
tools
14 mm socket
flat and philipps driver
small pry bar
long nose and standard mole grips
stanley blade or sciccors
and a seat foam from a garden chair (dont tell the wife )

first remove seat ...14 mm socket , dont forget to remove the boot fuel release unit.... 1 flat head under the boot release pulls and a philips that holds it to the floor (seat ) mount
then place on a work bench starting at the front there are 3 brass rings that need to be prized open and kept for replacing ...
then with the mole grips flatten out the 2 corners of the large metal pad held by the 4 x spings to ease the springs off on 1 side so you can put the foam under
then cut the foam pad to size and slide under the remaining metal pad with the seat pad warning connector on , all the way to the front of the seat .. then with any remaing off cuts ( i had 2 long lenths...) i put these under the spring pad (at the rear ) to keep the rear of the sqaub up as well ..

then reverse of removal .. dont foget when you bent the 3 brass rings to secure the front of the squab to the seat frame , you have replaced , to turn them around () into the foam section..as if a later date you loose a pound and rumage under your seat you wont cut yourself couse these are bloody sharp!!!!

seat is now prob firmer than it was when new and it cost pennies ....Image
[/img]https://i.imgur.com/oEILwp9.jpg[img][/img]Image
androo007

Re: [Mk2] [NA] seat sag!!!

Post by androo007 »

Great shout! Thanks for the write-up. What density foam did you choose?
mrtwo-red

Post by mrtwo-red »

hi sorry i have no idea they were 2 inch thick outdoor seat cushions .. :oops:
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

oh nice, i wanted to sort my seats out as they feel like they need some fresh foam. I guess this is much cheaper than getting someone to replace the full foam section.
mrtwo-red

Post by mrtwo-red »

hi took me @ 1-1.5 hrs ,out ..sort..back in . :clap:

Return to “Modifications”