[Mk2] [NA] Spark plug leads

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Andy Champ

[Mk2] [NA] Spark plug leads

Post by Andy Champ »

... only had the car 15 years, and never done it :oops: (professionally serviced) but I've got a wet-linked misfire. I thought I'd pull the plugs and have a look - but I can't get the damn leads off. What's the knack?
alanmr2turbo

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Spark plug leads

Post by alanmr2turbo »

pull off spark plug, bend clip slightly and pull from dizzy cap.
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

Great that you are trying some work yourself but.....
It may just be the leads but it is more likely to be a cracked coil pack or the earth for the coil pack wait earth's through the mounting bracket to the body.

As for the leads you may need to twist back and forth a little as the boot part that sits over the ceramic of the plug will be stuck if not been off for time.

Edit
I should add that if you pull off the coil pack to inspect and find it is cracked you can dry it out with a hair dryer then fill the cracks with rtv silicone as a short term fix whilst you order a new one.
When replacing be prepared for the screws that hold the coil to the bracket to be rusted solid and need drilling off. Can't remember the size but if you do a search with my username and coil pack you might find a little write up I did.
Andy Champ

Post by Andy Champ »

Thanks. It's the plug end of the leads.
Many moons ago I used to do all my own servicing, but an old-style Mini was (a) easier (b) needed doing more often (c) I had less money and more time... I once took a head off a Micra to sort out it burning oil, but it's all a while ago.

Return to “Mechanical”