[Mk2] [Turbo] Just purchased a Turbo, advice on whats fitted, FCON ECU and engine bay bits

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mk2too

[Mk2] [Turbo] Just purchased a Turbo, advice on whats fitted, FCON ECU and engine bay bits

Post by mk2too »

Hi all,

Finally purchased myself a Mk2 MR2 Turbo, its a 1992 on a K.

Haven't really had chance to look at it yet or even really drive it :-s

I had a root around last night and found the FCON ecu strapped to the ecu, a baileys dump valve, a welded up o.e dump valve? maybe? an HKS induction kit, HKS turbo timer and a FCD....

I need to do an oil change and service but do i need to have this ecu checked before I start using it properly? i'm assuming its been on it since Japan and is better left well alone?

Marty J

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Just purchased a Turbo, advice on whats fitted, FCON ECU and engine bay bits

Post by Marty J »

In Japan they use a higher octane fuel.

I would have it checked out to be on the safe side. Detonation will soon destroy the engine if not properly tuned.
mk2too

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Just purchased a Turbo, advice on whats fitted, FCON ECU and engine bay bits

Post by mk2too »

Thanks, I'll stick proper fuel it anyway but im tempted to have it put on a dyno.

Also is there any reason why the dump valve seems to be in a different place to most? I would have thought it would have been less effort to remove the oe than weld it up?
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

It would have been simple to make a blanking plate, but people don't always take the easy option!
If you want to neaten it up you can replace all the OEM hard pipes with alloy ones and silicon joiners.

F-Con is a piggyback ECU, pretty decent back in the day!

DO you have an AFR gauge? if so just monitor and make sure AFR's are safe - if it runs and drives fine, it's probably good.
Last edited by SonicSW20 on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

I used to have a Bailey dump valve, that's the easiest location to install it.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Marty J wrote:I used to have a Bailey dump valve, that's the easiest location to install it.

I'm sure you can get adapters to fit a BOV like that in the stock location as well?
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

Don't be tempted, you really need to have someone check the FCON out. You will kick yourself if it blows.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

Gazza_DJ wrote:
Marty J wrote:I used to have a Bailey dump valve, that's the easiest location to install it.

I'm sure you can get adapters to fit a BOV like that in the stock location as well?

You probably can, but that's the way the Bailey kit was sold in its day. I think I purchased mine from Demon Tweeks.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Looks a bit bodgy to me. I'd get it either on a dyno or removed and go stock ecu.

If the rest of the setup is stock or near stock like cats, intercooler etc the ecu isn't really the best thing to have anyway. There's better safer power to be made by upgrading the above. Finding someone who can time that ecu here now will also be very difficult.

I'd ditch all the weird stuff get it back to baseline and work up. That's just me though
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

androo007 wrote:

I'd ditch all the weird stuff get it back to baseline and work up.

Yeah I'd go with that. Look at me, giving advice! Ha.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

androo007 wrote:Finding someone who can time that ecu here now will also be very difficult.

F-CONs are still used quite a lot. HKS list 5 companies in the UK who are officially authorised to use their software, probably easier to get an F-CON sorted than an Apexi Power FC these days!
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Of those 5, how many are reputable, trustworthy and familiar with the 3SGTE?

Good luck finding even 1. I know this because i looked at buying one a while ago.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

I would have no hesitation in going to TDI UK if I had a F-CON.

http://www.tdi-plc.com/hks-fcon-v-pro-p ... er-dealer/
rev2rich

Post by rev2rich »

TDI Mapped my car and Nathans so they know the 3sgte and they are down the rd as they are based in essex
toecutter

Post by toecutter »

I put one on my Rev 2, I have a wide band, AFRs are fine. Fueling can be adjusted via an internal rotary dial. Info on them here, including install/set up manual.

http://1jzmerc.com/hks-faq/hardware/pfc-f-con
androo007

Post by androo007 »

rev2rich wrote:TDI Mapped my car and Nathans so they know the 3sgte and they are down the rd as they are based in essex

I stand corrected - there is one! Good to know. :thumleft:
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

personally id return it to stock.

Return to “Modifications”