MK2 MR2 - Loud knocking noise from rear at low speed, rubbing at high speed :-(

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mk2too

MK2 MR2 - Loud knocking noise from rear at low speed, rubbing at high speed :-(

Post by mk2too »

Hello,

Hoping someone can shed some light, I have an MK2 MR2 that has just developed a knocking noise from the rear. I'll do my best to explain...

When going slowly you can hear a knock associated with the turn of the wheels, i.e knock, pause, knock etc

When you speed the knock turns into a rubbing noise (I first thought the suspension had collapsed and it was the tyre rubbing)

It is not affected by the brakes or by turning left or right.

It definately sounds like its coming from the drivers rear.

I've had a quick look and the suspension still seems solid and doesn't look lower one side to the other, the tyre has no gouges in it and i can't see anything amiss but it is pitch black and I'm in my work trousers!

Could anyone shed any light on this?

Any help was much appreciated!
androo007

Re: MK2 MR2 - Loud knocking noise from rear at low speed, rubbing at high speed :-(

Post by androo007 »

Have you checked the droplinks for play? They are the most common throw-away item.
mk2too

Re: MK2 MR2 - Loud knocking noise from rear at low speed, rubbing at high speed :-(

Post by mk2too »

I haven't got the wheels off yet but the side that i think it is (drivers) had a brand new drop link prior to my ownership :-s

I did think those at start but they both look (from what i can see) ok

Could they ARB bushes be knackered and causing the bar to rub/knock?

its odd that the loud noise goes and a rubbing noise appears so it must be something that changes with speed.

Could it be a driveshaft :-/
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Could be if the CV boot has been split and run dry... could be a lot of things really.

you'll see pretty quickly by getting the wheel off. It might be the droplink just needs nipping up if the previous owner didnt do them up tight.
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

Maybe lower ball joint. You only hear it when the wheel drops away from the car, not on compression...
abovetherim

Post by abovetherim »

A rhythmic knocking is unlikely to be a static component like the suspension and if the knock remains under braking then that could rule out a warped disc or a stone in the pads.

As someone has already said, my money would-be a CV joint.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”