www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
WS speed delimiter

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> IMOC-UK Affiliates -> Woodsport
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PW@Woodsport
IMOC Affiliated Company

Feedback Score: 30

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: WS speed delimiter Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

We're going to be making a small production run of cheap speed delimiters for all you import chaps.

It will not be a plug and play unit, some minor wire joining will be needed, but it will come with very clear instructions to make it idiot proof.

Price will be around 30 posted, pics/details coming soon.
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11

1997 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Will I need one for a UK car conversion? I'll be using Rev5 UK clocks if that matters.
PW@Woodsport
IMOC Affiliated Company

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hi Gaz, i'm not sure you need it at all, maybe you're confusing this with a speedo convertor kmh to mph?

This unit only gets rid of the Japanese import 112mph (ish) speed limit, it's not a signal convertor for the dash or anything.

My unit will mean no check engine light comes on if the speed signal wire was cut going to the ECU.

UK cars do not need this, it's for Turbos or NA imports only, it is also intended for V6 swaps that also have the speed limiter.
Gazza_DJ
Premium Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

PW@Woodsport wrote:
Hi Gaz, i'm not sure you need it at all, maybe you're confusing this with a speedo convertor kmh to mph?

This unit only gets rid of the Japanese import 112mph (ish) speed limit, it's not a signal convertor for the dash or anything.

My unit will mean no check engine light comes on if the speed signal wire was cut going to the ECU.

UK cars do not need this, it's for Turbos or NA imports only, it is also intended for V6 swaps that also have the speed limiter.

Apologies, I should have been more specific - I'm converting a Rev5 UK car to a Gen3 turbo so will be running a Gen3 Turbo ECU (from an import Mr2). I seem to remember someone saying that you don't need a delimiter if you have UK clocks but that may be complete rubbish [Laughing]
PW@Woodsport
IMOC Affiliated Company

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Ah right, if you had a speedo convertor fitted, from KMH to MPH, it would effectively raise the speed signal max output to the ECU to roughly 180mph, so kinda works as a delimiter in its own right, although I can see a problem with the power steering or anything else relying on the output speed signal getting the wrong signal as a result of that, but this only applies to using KMH clocks with a convertor fitted.

In answer to your question about UK clocks, I believe they will be doing the same job as a signal convertor by artificially raising the output signal limit, your ECU is expecting a KMH 5v signal returning to it.... not something I have studied in great detail mind you so I could be wrong, but my hunch is you don't need a delimiter at all using UK clocks on a turbo conversion. It really is something I should automatically know the answer to!

Maybe someone else can chime in to confirm.
jon
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 15

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Regardless of which UK or JDM speedo is fitted, the signal going to the ECU is the same. So a turbo will still have 180kph limiter if UK clocks are fitted.
PW@Woodsport
IMOC Affiliated Company

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Thank you for clarifying Jon, so I guess you do need a delimiter after all Gaz.
markstevieandmads

Feedback Score: 4

1993 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Strange. I was told i needed the delimiter still when i converted my rev 2 turbo to uk clocks but i dont need it and have done 130mph+ on track with no delimiter.
jon
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 15

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Both UK and JDM ECUs (Turbo and NA) expect the speedo signal to be in KPH.
I've reverse engineered the software inside the ECUs. All the code that checks the vehicle speed is identical between the UK 3SGE ECU and the JDM 3SGE ECU, apart from the extra 180kph limiter in the JDM ECU.

If there was a difference in the signal going to the ECU on UK cars compared to JDM cars I'd expect to see a difference in the various checks of vehicle speed in the ECU code.
Mullen
Premium Member

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I'm interested in one for my 94 rev3 n/a auto import.
b4ss

Feedback Score: 1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: WS speed delimiter Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

PW@Woodsport wrote:
We're going to be making a small production run of cheap speed delimiters for all you import chaps.

It will not be a plug and play unit, some minor wire joining will be needed, but it will come with very clear instructions to make it idiot proof.

Price will be around 30 posted, pics/details coming soon.

Count me in for sure - I have a JDM Turbo in Ireland so just want to 112mph limiter removed.
Tony
Gazza_DJ
Premium Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

jon wrote:
Both UK and JDM ECUs (Turbo and NA) expect the speedo signal to be in KPH.
I've reverse engineered the software inside the ECUs. All the code that checks the vehicle speed is identical between the UK 3SGE ECU and the JDM 3SGE ECU, apart from the extra 180kph limiter in the JDM ECU.

If there was a difference in the signal going to the ECU on UK cars compared to JDM cars I'd expect to see a difference in the various checks of vehicle speed in the ECU code.

Having done my own 'tests', I can confirm that a UK car conversion is limited.

Put me down for a de-limiter Mr. Woods!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> IMOC-UK Affiliates -> Woodsport All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: