A useless Parking Brake..

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

OzSteve

A useless Parking Brake..

Post by OzSteve »

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone can help me. I have a parking brake with basically is useless. I have had all callipers refurbished, new seals, pistons etc. I have replaced both rear handbrake cables.

Adjusted handbrake so it goes up around 5 clicks but it does nothing. So just wondering if I am missing something? Are parking brakes an issue on these cars?

It doesn't really worry me that it doesn't work because I don't use it but the people who do my MOT's don't like it. So before the next one is due I need to sort it somehow.

Can anyone help me please?

Thank you
abovetherim

Re: A useless Parking Brake..

Post by abovetherim »

Assuming the rebuild wasn't messed up you could try the following;

Loosen off the handbrake cable a little
Make sure the lever on the caliper moves in and out by hand
Wind in the pistons fully then wind out only enough to align the cut out with the notch on the back of the pad.
Refit calipers and press the foot brake a few times
Now adjust up the cable and test
You may need to tighten the cable a little then work the lever a couple of time the adjust the cable to required clicks
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Had this trouble last year, replaced everything and it was still xxxx. turned out that one of the professionally rebuild calipers had a busted internal winder. so one side was underperforming and ruining the whole system.

A working used caliper later and it all worked really well. it's nice and strong and use it all the time on hills and parking etc.
Marty J

Post by Marty J »

pbmr2 wrote:Had this trouble last year, replaced everything and it was still xxxx. turned out that one of the professionally rebuild calipers had a busted internal winder. so one side was underperforming and ruining the whole system.

A working used caliper later and it all worked really well. it's nice and strong and use it all the time on hills and parking etc.

Happened to me too.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”