3STGE AFM on 4AGZE

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

3STGE AFM on 4AGZE

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Out of curiosity does anyone know if the 3STGE AFM runs on the 4AGZE?
Mk1Chris

Re: 3STGE AFM on 4AGZE

Post by Mk1Chris »

From memory I think the 3sge one does with the pins swapped over, as that is what I have on my 4agte.
Smallport 4AGTE
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

My engine will be out over this or next weekend, for a rebuild in November and read somewhere that it could be an advantage using the 3SGE or turbo AFM over the stock 4AGZE...

Also, I was considering a boot mounted IC - what affects are there on making the IC pipes slightly longer?

Cheers
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Making the intercooler piping a bit longer won't have a huge effect. It's more about how efficient your intercooling is.

Another rebuild already? Thought you had already rebuilt it?
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I was collecting parts ready for the rebuild.

Got the driveshafts, mounts and exhaust to remove, then the engine. So will be out at the weekend hopefully.

Got my speeding fine through so i have to pay that off first.

Has anyone mounted there IC in the boot with the 4AGZE?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:

Has anyone mounted there IC in the boot with the 4AGZE?

How are you going to make it work in the boot? Just thinking you'll need to get airflow though it somehow.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

That is the only thing; getting air cooler than the engine bay, into the boot. Don't want to cut the floor as the back box is directly under it and don't want to ruin the structure of the boot.

Perhaps fans and cutting the boot lid.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Fans won't be efficient. Cutting the bootlid is one thing, but you need airflow so you'd need to cut a vent in the side of the wing or something and then seal it to the IC and seal the IC to a hole in the bootlid. Not a pretty solution.
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

An intercooler will always be sub-optimal in a mid engined car as getting good airflow to the IC will always be compromsed. For this reason my preference would always be to use W2A. I use an ST205 chargecooler setup on my turbocharged 4AGZE
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Have you got any pictures of your arrangement and any build info for the plumbing etc?
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

The detail of my installation may not be much help in your scenario as it's pretty specific to some of the details on my car that are not relevant to you.

The chargecooler core is an ST205 item in much the same location as the stock intercooler. It's more or less unmodified although the ends of the water inlet/outlet have been cut down so that both outlets point straight down as the standard arrangement complicated packaging. The exact orientation and packaging of the inlet piping would probably be different with a GZE as my intake side uses an n/a manifold/throttle body with a 90 degree silicone joiner straight onto the CC. This puts the inlet to the CC at the front of the engine bay from where I have a custom pipe along the top of the engine bay before it drops down to the turbo outlet. The core sits on a custom steel bracket that bolts to the head and the gearbox mount.

The water circuit uses the factory heater lines to get from the front-back of the car (As it's a track car I'd already removed the heater matrix and looped off the water lines to it at the head.) although you can just as easily use coolant hose. I have a factory ST205 chargecooler pump in the frunk wired to run whenever the ignition is on and a Fiat Cinquecento radiator mounted in front of the normal coolant rad.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”