Did they make MR2 Turbo's in this colour?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mk2too

Did they make MR2 Turbo's in this colour?

Post by mk2too »

Hi all,

I'm due to look at an MR2 on Sunday, the owner says its a Turbo and it has the raised vents (I know this could be a swap) and its a tin top so assuming an import at the least?

Its very local so i'm not fussed if I get there and its not a turbo but if they never made one in that colour then i guess there would be no point in even going.

He says its a 93 and is a 'twin turbo' which fills me with a bit more confidence as i'm assuming he's reading the 'twin entry turbo' bit on the intake manifold...the irony of it all eh...

This is the car...

https://image.ibb.co/hxnJ8w/mr2.png
craig

Re: Did they make MR2 Turbo's in this colour?

Post by craig »

Yep, they did rev 2 turbos in that colour I believe. Tin top and raised vents. It's either a G LTD with turbo lid and possibly a turbo engine, or a rev 2 turbo.
mk2too

Post by mk2too »

Lovely, thank you so it is looking more promising.

Its been...erm...tastefully modified with a large spoiler but that aside it looks factory but only time will tell!

I will update on Sunday...
danjama

Post by danjama »

Love that colour. Azure blue?

Check for import paperwork in the history, and check the dials to see if they've been changed for 180mph ones (delimited). There should also be toblerone lights on the front strips, the uk cars had plain strips with the indicators in the wings. Let us know how it goes.
gavsdavs

Post by gavsdavs »

UK cars have indicators in the front wings (they are oblong in your image), imports tend to have the side inficators in front of the wheel arches in the side strips.

This suggests yours is a UK car (or has UK wings), however the oblong shape isnt common, they're usually more square in shape.

Secondly, there isn't a 'twin turbo' (at least from the factory), it's a twin entry turbo. Post engine bay photos for more info.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Yeah they did rev 2s in this colour and turbo. I know because I have a UK car in this colour which I converted to turbo and spent years getting hold of genuine turbo side stripes in the denim blue colour.

The car on your link is definitely an import at least because it is a tin top.
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

Hi mate

I had a Rev2 in this colour for 5 years. It's called Zircon Blue and still one of the best in my opinion.

The imports also have a slightly different air vent on the centre of the dash, they don't have the central 'wheel' to shut the vents off like the UK cars do.

:D
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

gavsdavs wrote:UK cars have indicators in the front wings (they are oblong in your image), imports tend to have the side inficators in front of the wheel arches in the side strips.

This suggests yours is a UK car (or has UK wings), however the oblong shape isnt common, they're usually more square in shape.

Secondly, there isn't a 'twin turbo' (at least from the factory), it's a twin entry turbo. Post engine bay photos for more info.

Toblerones for Rev1-3, solid mouldings and indicator further back in the wing for Rev4/5 :thumleft:
mk2too

Post by mk2too »

Well just to close the thread the car was a bit of a disaster, they where friendly enough the chap apologised on behalf of his dad who had listed it.

The car was butchered beyond saving really, to give an example the whole engine, i mean the whole engine from the exhaust to the throttle cable and everything inbetween was sprayed bright rattle can blue lol!

Anyway, onwards and upwards! thanks for everyones help, IMOC being helpful as always:-)
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

mk2too wrote:

The car was butchered beyond saving really, to give an example the whole engine, i mean the whole engine from the exhaust to the throttle cable and everything inbetween was sprayed bright rattle can blue lol!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”