www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
[Mk2] [NA] Alternator extremely hot, low charging voltage

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Electrical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drunknmunky

Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: [Mk2] [NA] Alternator extremely hot, low charging voltage Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

As per title, suddenly the lights dropped dim and battery meter reading about 11 volts, but didn't continue dropping, just running lower on charge than it should. I have a reconditioned alternator in there, only about 2 months old ish. But when I checked for a loose belt, tension was fine but noticed the alternator casing is ridiculously hot.
Any ideas please.
pbmr2
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

get a multimeter on the battery with the engine off and then again with it running. post results

it does sounds like the alternator has gone, did you get a warranty with the recon?
drunknmunky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I'll go borrow a multi meter tomorrow and get results thanks, it was a cash job so no official receipt but I've used the guy a few times over the years so hopefully he'll re do it again free if it is that.
drunknmunky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

So it turns out one of the coils inside the alternator had broken down from hitting the casing (re previous thread about couldn't stop it seizing). Be done in couple a days [Very Happy]
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Electrical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: