www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Cutting out after 20/30 seconds???

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msherry21

Feedback Score: 0

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Cutting out after 20/30 seconds??? Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hi all, my rev3 turbo keeps cutting out and the car is now stranded on a public road.
It starts no problem at all but after 20 or so seconds just cuts out. Idles fine while running. Was running like a dream yesterday.
Have checked all the vacuum hoses I can see from above and everything looks fine. Any ideas what this could be?
No error codes flashing up.

Cheers for any assistance. Michael.
gerbil1028
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 10

1992 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Could be a million things. Any smell off fuel to rule out burst fuel line. ( I had that )

Also have u bridge the terminals to run fuel pump 100% of time incasr relays gone down and not kicking it across to normal fuelling. As sounds like your getting start up fueling.
msherry21

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Thanks for that reply mate.

I've just had time to check over the car, first thing I did was bridge B+ and FP and that's stopped the car from cutting out. Which means it's obviously a fuelling problem.

What other checks can I do to find out what exact component needs replacing? Or does this test narrow it down enough?

Is it just the relay that needs replacing? Where is this relay?

Sorry for all the questions.
Cheers, Michael.
gerbil1028
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Relay could be faulty or could be ecu failing to send switch signal.

Best bet is to contact genius at Sbits (peter) who Helpped me with this problem.

There is a particular wire in ecu loom you can just earth which makes pump run 100% issue is it bypasses cutting fuel in event of accident.

He should be able to tell you how to test relay to rule it out and also supply a very reasonably priced ecu if thats what's needed.
raptor95GTS

Feedback Score: 8

1995 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

is this the COR thingy?? I'm sure Peter at SBits dianogsed this in the past for someone but I cannot find the thread [Sad] I think the COR in in the fuse box in the engine bay first page on this click me linky doofer

COR - circuit opening relay
gerbil1028
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

COR or somethibg like that yeps.

Hopefully only a relay but monies on ecu.
mr2mk2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Had a similar problem for no apparent reason. Disconnected and reconnected battery and it was OK again.
msherry21

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Well......
I've now just replaced the Circuit Open Relay in the fuse box in the engine bay and the problem still exists.

The car cuts out after 20 odd seconds. I'm sure i can hear the relay click just before the car cuts out.

What I did notice is that when I start the car from cold,it will idle for a lot longer, maybe 2 minutes or so before cutting out eventually.

Does this make it easier to diagnose the issue?

Really stumped now.

Michael.
gerbil1028
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Still going for relay not getting Signal to switch from ecu. Ask peter at Sbits
Peter Gidden - SBITS
IMOC Affiliated Company

Feedback Score: 18

2002 Noble M500

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

gerbil1028 wrote:
Still going for relay not getting Signal to switch from ecu. Ask peter at Sbits

That would be my first test.

Pin 14 of 22 pin ECU plug should be Green/Red. Splice a piece of wire to it and earth it under one of the ECU mounting bolts.

Start car and see what happens.
Brighton National Speed Trials Class Record Holder 2010 on
gerbil1028
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Just passing on your wealth of knowledge peter [Mr. Green] [Mr. Green]
msherry21

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Thanks guys, after doing exactly as Peter suggested, the car is now running sweet as a nut again!

Thanks again for all your help.
Cheers, Michael.
Peter Gidden - SBITS
IMOC Affiliated Company

Feedback Score: 18

2002 Noble M500

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

msherry21 wrote:
Thanks guys, after doing exactly as Peter suggested, the car is now running sweet as a nut again!

Cheers, Michael.

[thumleft]
raptor95GTS

Feedback Score: 8

1995 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
msherry21 wrote:

Cheers, Michael.

[thumleft]

[thumleft] peter again to the rescue of another mr2 owner
msherry21

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hi Guys,

So, 3 years on and the problem is back!!

Obviously I still have the green and red wire grounded as per Peter's suggestion.

Car will run for 10/15 seconds or until the CO Relay clicks and then the car will cut out.

Car also idles rough when its started.

I've also just today tried the FP and B+ bridge and the car doesn't like to start or run with that.

I'm absolutely stumped and the cars been sitting for weeks now with this problem.

Any help?? Thanks, Michael.
markstevieandmads

Feedback Score: 4

1993 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Check the fuel pump supply with a meter. Connections under the ashtray.
If your getting supply ok then put a temp 12v to the pump and see if its ok then.
My bet is the fuel pump on its way out. Only way to check this is disconnect fuel line at rail or filter and put in a clear tub and then run fuel pump with a temp known working 12v supply and make sure its pumping out a healthy dose of fuel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: