www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Cracked cylinder 3 ring land
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gazza_DJ
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11

1997 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I wouldn't bore it unless you have to due to scoring etc... 2 and 3 are thin enough as it is!
Sbsoulby
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Yeah exactly my thoughts, I'm really hoping not to bore it but depends what damage is in there from the ring land if any
Ja99a

Feedback Score: 7

1992 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Pistons Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I've used Wiesco pistons in a few different builds they are good, I used 87mm 9:1 which run fine.

I suggest boring out at a competent shop giving them the pistons to match, any other way, breaking the glaze etc cant be as good as you want the barrels to match the pistons.

If you look at the factory pistons you will see each piston has a letter, this is the size of the piston, they are matched to each barrel at the factory, meaning that each barrel isn't exactly the same size. Hence why I say get it bored out.

Also don't forget to gap the rings, lots of home builders just assemble the pistons with stock gaps rings and this is a surefire way to blow the ring lands...

Good luck [Smile]
Sbsoulby
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Thanks for the info, it's all getting done at yvs, he's worked on these engines for years so I've no doubt it'll be getting done properly, cheers though
Hez
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 7

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Yvs won't rebore if your bores are still in spec, he uses 86mm pistons whenever he can, what's the point weakening a weak block.
JD

Feedback Score: 10

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

- Never rebore if you don't have to (especially a 3S-GTE)
- Consider what your target numbers/budget is and build to that
- Match CR to the desired goal. Lowering to 8:1 in if you're not going for big boost/big power is just going to hurt performance ultimately; compression = power

Never get sucked in to chasing numbers. Select a goal for your build based on what you are happy to budget, hit that, and then enjoy the car. Take your time and read up, talk to engine builders.

All the best.

ps - alternatively you could save yourself the headaches, sell up, and finance a new hot hatch.
Gazza_DJ
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11

1997 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

JD wrote:

ps - alternatively you could save yourself the headaches, sell up, and finance a new hot hatch.

Sell up, buy a cheap NA MX5 and spend the rest on hookers and blow.
Sbsoulby
Premium Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Yeah I really don't want to rebore if I don't have to
It's hardly a headache, just takes tie really, I'll save up, get it done properly and enjoy the car again, if I needed the money then maybe so, but it's not a problem sat in the garage until it's ready
Sbsoulby
Premium Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Plus I'd not get many hookers and blow for essentially a scrap car
JD

Feedback Score: 10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Gazza_DJ wrote:
JD wrote:

Sell up, buy a cheap NA MX5 and spend the rest on hookers and blow.

[Laughing] [Laughing]

I think the hookers and blow fund will ultimately go towards brakes but that's another story!

Sbsoulby if it's a shell in good condition then it certainly makes sense to look after it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: