[Mk2] [Turbo] Lining up timing marks

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

markstevieandmads

[Mk2] [Turbo] Lining up timing marks

Post by markstevieandmads »

Im at the point of removing my cambelt from the head to remove the head to be repaired.

I have read,read and read again but would it be possible to post a few pics stating exactly where i am looking for the timing marks and what they should be pointing to before removing the belt as i dont want to get this bit wrong lol!

Ive looked at a few threads i googled but a lot of the pics are now not available (curse you photofucket!!!!)
rossonza
Premium Member

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Lining up timing marks

Post by rossonza »

markstevieandmads wrote:Im at the point of removing my cambelt from the head to remove the head to be repaired.

I have read,read and read again but would it be possible to post a few pics stating exactly where i am looking for the timing marks and what they should be pointing to before removing the belt as i dont want to get this bit wrong lol!

Ive looked at a few threads i googled but a lot of the pics are now not available (curse you photofucket!!!!)

I watched this video and found it had all the detail required:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFRq00HZCAE
mr2garageswindon

Post by mr2garageswindon »

Easy way is to mark the belt and the pulleys. Remove belt, mark the new belt up exactly the same then install with the marks to the pulley marks.
Providing the belt timing was correct to begin with of course.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

It's unlikely the cams will be in exactly the same position on return so it really doesn't matter as you'll need to reset everything anyway, although it's good practice to set it to TDC with the cams in the top position according to the timing marks on the backplate anyway. No need to put match marks on the belt if you're installing a new belt.

Set engine to TDC, set cams to the top position - this is the mark on the cam gear lining up with the line on the backplate, or you can line it up with the notch on the cam itself if you do it with the valve cover off. TDC can be found with the lower timing belt cover on - line the notch on the pulley with the 0 mark on the cover. Or you can do it the low tech way of putting a long screwdriver in cyl 1 and turning the engine clockwise until it reaches the top of the travel. Install belt, tension it and rotate the engine clockwise twice to confirm it's timed correctly - it should come back to TDC with the cams perfectly lined up. oh, and do all this with the spark plugs removed so you aren't fighting compression when turning the engine :thumleft:

1991 Repair Manual - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-dpU ... jJTcE1BNTQ
markstevieandmads

Still havent got round to do this yet however did have a quick look.

The bottom pulley doesnt seem to have any mark on it.
I put the two cam pulleys to the marks now and checked with a screwdriver that cylinder 1 was at tdc too.

But that bottom pulley doesnt have any mark on it so i may make my own with tippex.

Ive also removed the distributor without marking it as i thought the cam already had a mark on it. Should i have done that too
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

If it's a stock pulley there will be one, if you're at TDC it should be lined up with the zero on the timing cover. It's just a small notch in the pulley on the outer edge. Might need some wire brushing to reveal it.

Removing the distributor without marking it is not the end of the world, you'll just need to set the static ignition timing when you put it back together. You'd need to do that anyway most likely if the head is going away for repair. The key on the distributor that slots into the cam is slightly offset so it should be very difficult to install it the wrong way round although i've heard it can be done.
markstevieandmads

Cheers.
Its the first time ive done anything like this so its helpful to be on this forum with such knowledgeable peeps!!

Im sure i will have plenty more questions as the build goes on.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Print off the relevant pages of the BGB, sometimes it goes into more detail than needed for the job at hand as it assumes you'll be doing other work but it really helps to have a hard copy on hand if you need it.
markstevieandmads

Gazza_DJ wrote:Print off the relevant pages of the BGB, sometimes it goes into more detail than needed for the job at hand as it assumes you'll be doing other work but it really helps to have a hard copy on hand if you need it.

Yep already done. Even bought a new laser printer for the job lol

Return to “Mechanical”