Rear MR2 Speaker size

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Rear MR2 Speaker size

Post by Tiamat »

Can't recall, are they 6cm or 13cm?

For the ones up behind the driver's / passenger's head.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
monkeymax

Re: Rear MR2 Speaker size

Post by monkeymax »

Malcolm, I'm afraid they're neither! :lol:
The fronts are 4 inchers and rears - ones you're after - are 3.5 inches.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

Thanks, thought they were smaller.

Going to run new wires while the interior is out
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

Good move. I'd like to do the same...
Are you just doing it for speakers or running any other new wires?
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

The wiring loom for the stereo is completely butchered, so I intend to improve it and solder in an ISO socket properly this time and remove the chokky blocks currently in use.

I will also run new speaker wires for the rear (not for the stereo) and for speakers in the front, in the doors etc. I also have a sub for behind the seat, so will look at running some wiring for that too.

The intention is to install my CB radio into the car into one of the din sockets, which will then have external speakers, being the ones behind the seats referred to earlier, to remove the need for anything mounted in the open.

I am also going to look into a few extra bits like some USB charging sockets etc - which I am considering installing in the ashtray of the car, since it is only ever used to hold stray screws etc in any event; so it makes sense.

Ultimately the intention is to make the cabin a bit more user friendly and habitable, I have a near immaculate interior to go in, so do not want to mess with it too much.

I am also replacing all the screws in the dash, I have purchased replacement black screws with the intention of making it look newer and fresher. Am also considering bulb change on the dash, clock etc.
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

Have you got a record of what screws were for where and where they came from? May help those others looking to do similar. ;)

I am seriously toying with the idea of making a powered USB hub thing to replace the ashtray by 3D printing a new frontage. Would be a nice solution to broken ashtrays!
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

monkeymax wrote:Have you got a record of what screws were for where and where they came from? May help those others looking to do similar. ;)

I am seriously toying with the idea of making a powered USB hub thing to replace the ashtray by 3D printing a new frontage. Would be a nice solution to broken ashtrays!

I will see if I can find a label, I got them through a previous employer a few years ago unrelated to the MR2, but they do look quite swish. will let you know.

I have MK1b, so have the ashtray on the side of the centre column, so all protected. If I had a 3D printer I would print an insert for it, but as yet I have not purchased one, though it is on the list of stuff to purchase, so I can print some bull bar ends, centre caps, my own models etc.
Turill

Post by Turill »

Not trying to be negative, but they are kind of pointless to me. I put in the most decent speakers I could find at that size but they actually annoy me since they can't really put out much good of a sound, and since they're really close to your ear that can be annoying (mostly high tones a a bit of mid). I'm sure there's a way of balancing all the speakers the right way, but for that meant giving them so little volume that it kinda made it a waste of effort to me :').

I do have door speakers (previous owner made a hole already) and putting some good quality Focal speakers in there with a little amp behind it quite did it for me. However I can see how that's not an option for some people.

An upgrade to some custom C pillar cap for bigger speakers could be an option, but would be rather difficult. I think I personally would go for decent fronts and a (active) flat sub.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”