www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
[Mk2] [Turbo] Help me remove this aftermarket wheel/boss AAARRGGHH!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ste_brough
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 8

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: [Mk2] [Turbo] Help me remove this aftermarket wheel/boss AAARRGGHH!! Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Someone please help me, I cannot for the life of me get this crappy aftermarket wheel boss off! I've wiggled and jiggled, kicked, punched, hit with a hammer, plus liberal with WD40 but it wont budge.

[/img]
pbmr2
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 10

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

there is the no tools way of doing it. put the nut back on a couple of turns, put the aftermarket wheel back on firmly. put the driver's seat back and go ape-poop trying to pull it off.
The nut stops it hitting you in the face.

The other way is to use a bearing/hub puller.
RST
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 24

2002 Toyota MR2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Quote:

there is the no tools way of doing it. put the nut back on a couple of turns, put the aftermarket wheel back on firmly. put the driver's seat back and go ape-poop trying to pull it off.
The nut stops it hitting you in the face.

The other way is to use a bearing/hub puller.

Having sustained a hefty neck / arm injury following the "forum" type procedure for steering wheel removal before, all I can say is use the correct tool for the job and its a 1min operation with no effort...

USE A BEARING PULLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..dont risk harm to yourself -it's not worth it.
Gazza_DJ
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11

1997 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Put the nut that secures the boss in place back on by 4 or 5 threads. Attach the wheel again. This will give you more leverage to work it off.

Usually those type of aftermarket ones pretty much fall off though.

Or get a puller.
Jayridium

Feedback Score: 5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I think looking at it that the splines arent a match, so at 6'0clock in the picture the splines are engaged properly, by 3/9 oclock they peaks of the steering column are digging into the peaks (rather than the troughs) of the boss.

So please be ware that the splines on your steering column may be be damaged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Modifications All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: