www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
[Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo Flutter - with video

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Mechanical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killerferret666
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: [Mk2] [Turbo] Turbo Flutter - with video Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

So ive installed a rev2 forged build with a rev3 conversion running a CT20b. I have a BOV installed which is an aftermarket one to atmosphere.

Ive noticed at lower boost / part throttle I get turbo flutter and then at WOT or high boost the BOV does sound.

The below video demonstrates. Is this anything for me to worry about or anything I need to look at. Obviously it sounds cool but apart from that is it an issue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmlFtUYPm2U

http://miamigt4kitcar.blogspot.co.uk/

twitter for photo's as I'm building -
www.twitter.com/iwanabeaferret
Gazza_DJ
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11

1997 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I don't think it's a problem.
killerferret666
Premium Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Ok cool. Ill see how it behaves generally.
androo007
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Have you got an arc airbox or similar? Made my flutter sound louder. It's not a problem [thumleft]

I run with no bov too [Mr. Green]
killerferret666
Premium Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

androo007 wrote:
Have you got an arc airbox or similar? Made my flutter sound louder. It's not a problem [thumleft]

I run with no bov too [Mr. Green]

No but before I had the S bend with AFM of course.

Now I have a 400mm straight metal pipe to the filter which is right next to the air intake in the bodywork. I did wonder if this would make a difference!

It is a loud flutter. at 0.2 / 0.3 bar i swear it peaks. I did notice a slight flutter before the BOV went off today as well.

Just a lovely new noise then!
raptor95GTS

Feedback Score: 8

1995 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

daft question. Have you re-plumbed the black and white VTA valve at the BOV? The side marked B should be on the passenger side. I had mine the other way round and it make that same noise (rev3 rhd)
Gazza_DJ
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11

1997 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

raptor95GTS wrote:
daft question. Have you re-plumbed the black and white VTA valve at the BOV? The side marked B should be on the passenger side. I had mine the other way round and it make that same noise (rev3 rhd)

Is that retained for an aftermarket BOV like the OP has? I'm sure most aftermarket ones I've seen don't use the VTA?
raptor95GTS

Feedback Score: 8

1995 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Gazza_DJ wrote:
raptor95GTS wrote:

Is that retained for an aftermarket BOV like the OP has? I'm sure most aftermarket ones I've seen don't use the VTA?

some do and some dont, I dont know what the OP has fitted but the noise is what I had. Like I say, could be a daft question on my part [Smile]
killerferret666
Premium Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

The Bov was on my rev 2 originally and plumbed same way with only the one feed to it.

It is weird it now does it though. Boost between gear changes is it a bit slower to build back up I think as well.
androo007
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9

1994 Toyota MR2 Mk2 Turbo Rev3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Yeah it's not enough to make the bov pssssshhht so it flutters. Completely normal. I had an HKS that was soft and it hissed every gear change. Nowhere near as cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo -> Mechanical All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: