[Mk2] [Turbo] worth changing Water pump & Oil pump whilst engine out

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

rossonza
Premium Member

[Mk2] [Turbo] worth changing Water pump & Oil pump whilst engine out

Post by rossonza »

Is it worth changing the water and oil pump on my engine before it goes back in the car? im doing the timing belt (yet to decide on brand, HKS bit pricey for a belt).

Cheers
Ross.
Hez

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] worth changing Water pump & Oil pump whilst engine out

Post by Hez »

If you have the engine out then it's probably worth doing, I would have done the belt with the engine in but now it's out you might aswell. Just use a OEM belt like blueprint or get a Toyota, both will do the job just as well fitted properly.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

sorry should have been clearer. i bought a replacement engine off a member on here.

so ive got the new one (off the imoc forum) in the garden, and the original still in the car.

i plan on building the new engine up on the engine stand. so belts etc can be changed nice and easily.

Sure, ill stick to a decent brand for the belt. just need to find the belt part number and have a look at pricing.

:thumleft:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Just get a Toyota belt. They are about £40.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Just get a Toyota belt. They are about £40.

Will do Gazza, didnt realise they were so cheap :thumleft:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Yeah, the belts aren't expensive. If you're doing the full service don't forget the tensioner pulleys and hydraulic tensioner itself. If history is a bit unknown then it's worth just replacing everything so you know it's good :thumleft:
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Yeah, the belts aren't expensive. If you're doing the full service don't forget the tensioner pulleys and hydraulic tensioner itself. If history is a bit unknown then it's worth just replacing everything so you know it's good :thumleft:

sure sounds good to me. thanks for your input :thumleft:
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

Im doing the same but with my original engine out the car.
Ive got to get an exhaust stud repaired which means head off...which means new hg and bolts and so i thought might as well do cambelt too so might as well take engine out.
Also gonna get a seal and gasket kit and renew them all while its out and new clutch if i can find one for a decent price.

Problem is you need to set a limit on where you gonna stop refurbing. I was thinking water and oil pump too but do they really need doing? Mines on 130k (mix of miles and km) and not showing any signs of failure anywhere so it is literally routine for me.
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

markstevieandmads wrote:Im doing the same but with my original engine out the car.
Ive got to get an exhaust stud repaired which means head off...which means new hg and bolts and so i thought might as well do cambelt too so might as well take engine out.
Also gonna get a seal and gasket kit and renew them all while its out and new clutch if i can find one for a decent price.

Problem is you need to set a limit on where you gonna stop refurbing. I was thinking water and oil pump too but do they really need doing? Mines on 130k (mix of miles and km) and not showing any signs of failure anywhere so it is literally routine for me.

true mate....could end up spending more than ive spent on the engine itself.........
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Considering oil pump is a sump off job if you're going to do it then this is the time to do it. Not about removing a sump with some oil still in it (as it never drains fully) from underneath when you can do it in relative comfort on an engine stand :thumleft:
rossonza
Premium Member

Post by rossonza »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Considering oil pump is a sump off job if you're going to do it then this is the time to do it. Not about removing a sump with some oil still in it (as it never drains fully) from underneath when you can do it in relative comfort on an engine stand :thumleft:

this is true :-)

Return to “Mechanical”