[Mk2] [Turbo] Better air intake temp sensor and positioning.Results page 6.

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jimGTS

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Better air intake temp sensor and positioning.Results page 6.

Post by jimGTS »

This is confusing because the end of this thread is referring to an aftermarket gauge and sensor.

Which is what the links are referring to (one is egt, one is an actual air temp sensor).
Neither are being used to replace the stock sensor.

The beginning of the thread is indeed talking about the faster responding sensor to replace the stock sensor. Personally I've no way to monitor it.

Are the oem replacement ones still available, I'm sure they are I can't for life of me remember what exact model they are though sorry.

Ashley did some adapters I'm sure he'll know the adapter threads.
kirk

Post by kirk »

Probably my bad for not being more specific. I was indeed talking about the sensor from the first half of the discussion.

I believe I've found the part Rob bought. I'll now source and adaptor from Ashley if I can.

:thumleft:
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

The adapter is simple to make, buy one brass m16 bung/blank, drill out the centre out to 8.8mm (9 will do if that's all you have) and tap it to the thread of the triumph sensor (m10x1.25). If you have access to a small vice and a hand drill you can make in in about 5 mins.

All described in detail on page 2, sadly the pics are gone thanks to photobucket
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
jon

Post by jon »

The problem with the fast reacting sensor is that it's quite a bit shorter then the stock sensor:

I have a modified stock ECU that I can toggle a switch to make it run on open loop mode on demand. I saw that without the lambda sensor feedback the ECU ran widely lean at idle and cruise on the fast sensor when the engine is heat soaked. The stock sensor was a fair bit better.

My theory is that the fast sensor's tip is too close to the metal of the manifold, so it picks up the heat of manifold more than the stock sensor.
kirk

Post by kirk »

I can see how your theory could be quite accurate. It is a fair bit shorter.

My dilemma is I'll be running meth injection in the coming months and from what I'm lead to believe the stock sensor is too slow to adjust so I'm looking for "drop in" alternatives and this seemed like the ideal solution.
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

Interesting, For what it's worth I didn't notice that trend on my car running a power fc with O2 feedback control permanently turned off.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

kirk wrote:I can see how your theory could be quite accurate. It is a fair bit shorter.

My dilemma is I'll be running meth injection in the coming months and from what I'm lead to believe the stock sensor is too slow to adjust so I'm looking for "drop in" alternatives and this seemed like the ideal solution.

Locate the sensor somewhere else maybe ? I welded a bung into the chargecooler pipes after the throttle body in mine. That also makes a huge difference with the sensor getting heat soak as well.
kirk

Post by kirk »

Interestingly enough on the Gen 5 manifold the IAT is fitted here.

Wonder whether this location makes a difference.

Either way, I've ordered the sensor now so I'll give it a go and see how it goes.

Return to “Modifications”