www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Front suspension lower arm body pick up with pictures - help needed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Damian

Feedback Score: 0

1988 Toyota MR2 Mk1b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Front suspension lower arm body pick up with pictures - help needed. Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hello all

I had water getting into the driver's side footwell so I decided to investigate...

On removing everything I found the two little holes responsible but I also found that the body end pick up point for the front suspension lower arm is really badly roted with a huge hole!

http://s939.photobucket.com/user/damomr2/library/MR2%20MK1%201988

(one picture is underside passenger side brace bar fixing with is also rotted!)

My question is, can this area be repaired or it it terminal? It's very close to suspension mounting, anti-roll bar etc... [Sad]

Any thoughts please?

Damian
PW@Woodsport
IMOC Affiliated Company

Feedback Score: 30

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Having restored many Mk1s over the last 20 years I'm not afraid of encountering rust in any area of the car, sills, floors, door posts, roof sections etc can all be repaired easily.

However that area in question has seen many a Mk1 off to the breakers yard, the reason being you need to cut the lower suspension mounting point out to repair it properly, as the rot is right in behind it. Now a quick plate up job will probably see you a year or two more out of it, but eventually the entire mounting point will rot out and is actually very unsafe well before that happens, imagine that lower mounting ripping off the chassis at speed.... it doesn't bear thinking about.

The problem trying to repair that properly means the mount needs removing, so you lose the datum point of where it used to be after repairing the inner chassis area, you would need to make a jig to catch that bolt hole before cutting it out, repair all of the rot and use the jig to weld a new mounting point in.

The cost of doing something like that outweighs the value of many Mk1s and they inevitably get scrapped. I normally call time on any Mk1 I see that has rot in this specific area as there is no easy way to rescue it long term.

1988 Toyota MR2 Mk1b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hi

Thanks for your detailed reply. Your reply pretty much confirmed what I suspected although it's very sad to hear... [Sad]
PW@Woodsport
IMOC Affiliated Company

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

No problem, it's by far the biggest enemy we face as Mk1 owners.
Damian

1988 Toyota MR2 Mk1b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I know... [Sad]

Anyone got any success stories from this area??
Gazza_DJ
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 11

1997 Toyota MR2 Mk2 NA Rev4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

A proper repair as Paul has described will most likely cost more than a decent Mk1 shell. You're better off getting another one, rust proofing it, and transferring the good bits from your existing car.
jimzzr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Damian wrote:
I know... [Sad]

Anyone got any success stories from this area??

Not as bad as yours but worth mentioning for any with similar but less severe issues.

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2/mk1.html?view=kb&kbartid=32

That said his repair won't last forever as there's almost certainly some rot remaining.
PW@Woodsport
IMOC Affiliated Company

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Agreed, it's the internal part of that area that you cannot get access to unless the mounting point is chopped out, as I mentioned above you could plate up the external easy to get at bits and It will last a year or two, but you really do have a ticking time bomb on your hands internally.
jimzzr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Perhaps it would be possible to re-circulate/spray a chemical rust remover into the cavity, jet-wash out the debris and then flood with waxoil? Hand held boroscopes are quite cheap these day so could inspect to see if the removers done the job.

Anyone ever tried this?
PW@Woodsport
IMOC Affiliated Company

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

It's rotten in there though, the steel is too far gone and needs replacing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: