[Mk2] [NA] Where to start?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pbmr2

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Where to start?

Post by pbmr2 »

Did you crack this issue?

I'm not 100% on the rev1/2 changes to the idle valve. best ask someone who's worked on both and remembers. been about 7 years for rev2 and 10 years for a rev1 for me. The memory isn't what it was :D
Rhyswh

Post by Rhyswh »

Not yet. We ordered the part but it came in worse condition than the one we have!

We cleaned the ISCV we have and it's very free moving apart from the very last bit. So it will fully open but won't fully close without using some force. Without the sensor attached I can manually close the ISCV and make the car idle properly so pretty sure this is the part is causing the issue. Tested the sensor attached to it and it did nothing! So replaced that as well but worried that it's bust because like I said, it came in worse condition than the one already on the car.

So at the moment we're no further forward until we get another part, the seller said he would send us another but all of a sudden he's gone quiet :(
mr2garageswindon

Post by mr2garageswindon »

Check your cam timing. I bet its a tooth out hence low on power.
Rhyswh

Post by Rhyswh »

If it's a tooth out is it just a case of resetting the timing to 10deg?
Rhyswh

Post by Rhyswh »

Scrap that! Was thinking of the wrong thing, although I will check the ignition timing as well.

How easy is it adjust the cam timing if it's out on these cars?
Rhyswh

Post by Rhyswh »

Finally got his money back, new part ordered!
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

Rhyswh wrote:Scrap that! Was thinking of the wrong thing, although I will check the ignition timing as well.

How easy is it adjust the cam timing if it's out on these cars?

Easy once you get the cover off.

just cut a slice of a 2L or 3L coke bottle, longer than the contact patch of the belt to cog. feed the plastic under the belt as the engine turns by hand. once the plastic is between the belt and the cam gear, the cam gear can be turned to reposition it.

quick time saving trick for sorting out a small mistake.
Rhyswh

Post by Rhyswh »

Brilliant tip there!

Got the new part on yesterday. I was hoping the car would stall as the idle control screw is as low as it will go. It didn't but was idling a lot better at 1000rpm. This is still a touch high though and I can't adjust it any lower.

Anything else I should check with regards to idle?

Return to “Mechanical”