Rev 3 turbo stiff gear change problem

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Nij

Rev 3 turbo stiff gear change problem

Post by Nij »

Hi, my Rev 3 turbo has a very stiff gear change and requires a lot of effort to get it into gear. I've checked the shifter as well as the gear selector cables which seem to move freely, however when inspecting the selector forks on the gearbox, one of them is really stiff whereas the other is not as stiff. The problem is there whether the car is on or off.

I'm struggling to get to the bottom of it and was wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
pbmr2

Re: Rev 3 turbo stiff gear change problem

Post by pbmr2 »

is the clutch fully disengaging?

Any noises? like does a sound change at the gearbox when the clutch pedal is pressed? or general grumbling?

has it got any oil in it? are there any leaks?

does the shifter arm loom straight and undamaged?

has this been a progessive issue or a sudden change?
Nij

Re: Rev 3 turbo stiff gear change problem

Post by Nij »

I don't believe it has anything to do with the clutch. When the car is on or off regardless if the clutch is engaged, trying to move the shifter is difficult. I've disconnected the shifter cables and they seem to move freely.

I believe its got to do with something on the gearbox itself. I've noticed on the old MOTs its come up on the advisories list for the last 5 years.

Thanks.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”