how does this happen?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2_maverick

how does this happen?

Post by mr2_maverick »

I dumped the clutch at around 3-4k, car moved forward and the revs kept rising but speed stayed the same. I quickly stopped the car when I realised the clutch is slipping following that was a clutch burning smell. The clutch isn't slipping now and drives fine otherwise but I get a slight judder when moving off. I didn't drive the car much after that. Can this be because the clutch was still hot or have I likely burnt my clutch?

Its quite hot out maybe wheels couldn't break traction so clutch gave away? Either way I know I'm foolish and before anyone flames me this really was in a large private enclosed area with consent so nothing illegal.
qwakers

Re: how does this happen?

Post by qwakers »

you clutch was either not up to the power (is the car standard?) or is on its way out. the fix for both is the same, fit a new/better clutch.
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="qwakers"]you clutch was either not up to the power (is the car standard?) or is on its way out. the fix for both is the same, fit a new/better clutch.[/quote]

The car is standard and I thought the clutch was fine because the biting point isn't high, the revs and speed stays the same if going up a hill in fifth at very low speeds (so no slipping under high load) and the car can move up a slight incline with just the clutch going out slowly. Its a rev3 na btw.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Dumping the clutch at 4k is different to a 5th gear long pull.

It's most likely just fine, won't have done anything. Just means that it isn't up to hard launches as partway through its life.

Unless you want to do hard launches dont worry and carry on :thumleft:
mr2_maverick

Post by mr2_maverick »

[quote="androo007"]Dumping the clutch at 4k is different to a 5th gear long pull.

It's most likely just fine, won't have done anything. Just means that it isn't up to hard launches as partway through its life.

Unless you want to do hard launches dont worry and carry on :thumleft:[/quote]

You're right, the judder took a day to go away but it's gone the clutch is fine now. I might leave it as it is till my first time in Santa pod, I'll replace it after burning out my first clutch.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”