Rear quarter panel rusting.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

stecad

Rear quarter panel rusting.

Post by stecad »

Just dropped my MR2 into the paint shop yesterday. While looking over the car and talking through the job the paint chap (a good & trusted mate) commented on small paint bubbles & corrosion above the rear quarter glass passenger side. All strangely in a line - obvious when he pointed it out.
When he poked it with a scribe it was wafer thin and rusted through. OMG He was not surprised and commented that this is where the panels have been welded together (roof & rear quarter). It's not a massive job but a PIA and will add a few days to the project.
Anyone had this happen and any tips?
thanks
Marty J

Re: Rear quarter panel rusting.

Post by Marty J »

I have never heard of this before. I have rust on the rear quarter where it joins the inner wheel arch. I have a rev2 import turbo.

What year is the car, is it a import ?

Would you take some photos ?

I would like to see how you go about repairing the damage. Post some photos if possible.
stecad

Re: Rear quarter panel rusting.

Post by stecad »

It's a Mk II, Rev II. 3 SGTE Jap import.
It's actually in the paint shop now and i'm about to go away on business for a while. I'll try to call in when i return later next week and update the forum on progress.
Posting pictures is beyond my IT skills.
If you imagine where the rear quarter panel opens up to the body of the roof, and just above the actual window. This is the area.
It's only got 35,000 miles (genuine) on the clock and not had a hard life. My body shop chap reckons it has just been a poor job at Toyota when the car was originally built and has allowed water in from the rear quarter window seal. The drivers side is not a problem.
He doesn't think it's a major problem but will just take longer in the paint shop.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”