Back in an MR2

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RST

Back in an MR2

Post by RST »

I must be daftbut definately have to look at changing my diet to beans and thin white toast now. Got me a MK3 as a weekend car again!

...One of my colleagues had his Porker in today, who would have imagined the Boxster shape was based on a MK3 LoL?

...It's a project car but nothing major, just tidying up. Just nice to be back in an MR2 again.

Rich
raptor95GTS

Re: Back in an MR2

Post by raptor95GTS »

welcome back sir :thumleft: :clap: Cheeky wee 2GR or 2ZZ turbo conversion :mrgreen:

Allan
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Welcome back :thumleft:
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
RST

Post by RST »

Cheers folks. Na, no major mods on this one, cant be bothered with the insurance loading and Ive been there with engine swaps on my MK2. I spent 10's of k's playing / tuning previous cars. No workshop this time and money is allot tighter as I cant get back offshore anymore so Im happy with just tidying this one up amd tinkering. Cosmetics -have found some wheels I like and I hope I can sell existing wheels and tyres fpr a few £, the hard top needs painting, few other minor bits but I must get a gutted CAT sorted at some point for peace of mind.

Cheers,

Rich
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

true word that. Just drive it :thumleft:
RST

Post by RST »

Bit of an eventful first trip with the car.

I didn't have time to service it myself so I handed parts over to a garage literally just over the road from work and they serviced it for me. That was a little over a week ago. It went in running sweet as a nut but I knew the belt looked more like a sumo wrestlers jockstrap (it was split 2/3rds way round) and they said the original spark plugs were all loose. It's had a slight miss since the work and I took 2 days off last week to get a good look round but it was p*****ng it down the whole time I never got near the car. I did do an ECU re-set and it seemed to drive a bit better.

...This last weekend I was coming from home in Inverness to Family in Falkirk and thought, sod it I'll take the MR2. I got to road works in Stirling (140miles) and stuck in traffic it was runnng like a bag of rusty nails and looked down to see the dreaded CEL lit up. I pulled over into the hard shoulder on the last bit of the M9, couldn't see anything amiss apart from it mis-firing. Thought "sod-it I'll pull back out and if I get through the road works it'll last the next 15 miles to the end". So it did but was rattling by the time I pulled into my Mothers driveway in Falkirk.

I've never owned an OBDII scanner as there's always been one I can borrow. I could have bought 4 or 5 home in Inverness within the space of 5 miles but there was NONE in Falkirk. So last ditch I tried Screwfix and they had none in but available next day guaranteed after 12:00hrs.

So I went to my family BBQ on Saturday night, hoped the scanner came in which is did and was duly collected mid day today (sunday). "mis-Fire on clyinder 2". I didn't have all my tools with me -ulled the coilpacks which looked OK but my spark plug wrench was too big -and it p****d it down so I thought sod it -RAC moment.

RAC came out very quickly and turns out no 2 spark plug gap you would not have passed a fag paper through the electrode gap. Re-gapped the plug (they were all new 10 days ago), bunged it back-in and it's running perfect again. Re-Set the code on my scanner, stopped and re-started and perfect. So the RAC guy and I had a chat for 20mins about cars over a coffee on my Mothers drive and I was very happy. Not long after I left Falkirk for home and 160miles perfect apart from numpties on the A9 all good again!!!

....So I'll be having a word with the garage this week as I don't expect to have to check a garages work, though sadly it's not the first time. Cost me £60 for a scanner (which to be fair I should have had anyway) and the hassle of an RAC call-out which added 6hrs to my quick overnight round trip. RAC guy was superb, first time I never got asked to complete a survey afterwards which is a shame because he was there so quick and knowledgable -actually genuinely interested in the car as he was considering this or an MX5 engine for a classic car swap.

...So home now -I seem to have a good car! Oh and I biught a new battery as I wasn't so sure my existing one is good, but I wasn't going to swap it out until I had the scanner on it with the fault code showing.

Rich
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

bloody ell! That's some journey :shock: How did garage take the update?
RST

Post by RST »

raptor95GTS wrote:bloody ell! That's some journey :shock: How did garage take the update?

To be honest I haven't had the chance to go back to the garage yet -and it's just the typical luck that happens to me all the time so I loose enthusiasm chasing everyone (doesn't happen to me at work though). I haven't said anything yet to them -partly because I haven't had the chance to get away from my desk though LoL.

...Car's running good since otherwise. I must admit I'm missing A/C though! I have to sort out wheels -I'm amazed it takes corners at all as-is but it does, currently looking at 15 / 16" splits on Ultralites (look like Enkei RP1's) but not sure what tyres to go for on this as I was always a Toyo man and I'm not going to ask this time!

Rich
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

haha the old tyre debates. I'm running Advan AD08R all round and they're way better than me which is the right way round I guess :) I wouldn't mind having the A/C in mine fixed but I'd need to replace everything and that's a lot of money! Cambelt next for me sadly

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”