The Ramblings and Diary of a Japanese Car Enthusiast

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Madabout

Re: The Ramblings and Diary of a Japanese Car Enthusiast

Post by Madabout »

JLW wrote:
Madabout wrote:

I am just outside Crawley towards East Grinstead so a meet at some stage would be good. I have met a few people before in the mx5 scene at the Grasshopper Inn off the a25 outside Oxted which is a good meeting point.

Wicked pal, should do it in June, Oxted's 20 minutes with some good roads
from my gaff.

Yes mate. Some point in June. With the Grasshopper Inn it's not bad as huge carpark, off a25 so around 10 minutes off M25 and central for quite a few areas.
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Some updates on the MR2 (and a couple of my other cars).

Since I got my MR2 I had been looking for some period bucket seats to go with the car. I liked the leather seats but in my MX5s I run some pretty special seats. For me the MR2 has all been about building a subtly modified version with period mods from Japan to suit the car. As I have learned more about MR2s I quickly found the factory upgrade MR2 recaros which fitted perfectly what I wanted. I kept a look out for a while and saw a set for sale in Bradford a mate bought before luckily coming across a really tidy set for sale 10 minutes away from me. A deal was struck and today I got them fitted plus a quick run out.

Also a mate of mine is selling reconditioned powder coated wiper arms. Mine had seen better days as were starting to rust in places so got a set of fresh powder coated arms sent to me which I fitted this week and tidy this area up.

Busy day on the cars today as also got 2 of my mx5s MOT'd all OK. Both run some period jdm mods too like the SSR MK2 wheels, Hayashi wheels, etc.

Next up on the MR2 front is I have bought some polybushed front control arms so will aim to get these fitted and also I have bought some polybushed engine mounts so these need to be fitted too. Still got the rev1 deep pile carpet sitting inside that needs fitting too.
craig

Post by craig »

Lovely seats mate. Car is coming along nicely and looking great. :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Those Recaros are pretty awesome, really comfy :thumleft:
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

craig wrote:Lovely seats mate. Car is coming along nicely and looking great. :thumleft:

Thanks since I got the car I had been thinking of different seats. I run factory upgrade carbon fibre recaros in 2 of my mx5s. Still more to do on the car but hopefully moving the right way. I saw a lovely rev4 today so that has inspired me or think how I could afford it! I have not seen many other mr2s next to mine and one thing that did surprise me is how low mine is. Other one was on 40mm dropped springs and mine is lower, which I didn't expect.

Magic Beans wrote:Those Recaros are pretty awesome, really comfy :thumleft:

Thanks Phil. Fits with the scheme for the car. Still more to do as ever.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

looking good!! Time to get a Sussex meet going.... PM me your number, think we're trying to organise via WhatsApp.
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

androo007 wrote:looking good!! Time to get a Sussex meet going.... PM me your number, think we're trying to organise via WhatsApp.

Thanks still more to be done though. I drop you a pm now.
JLW

Post by JLW »

I'm game for a sussex meet also, will PM you andy.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

GREAT!
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

^^^ Good to see you part of this Sussex planned MR2 get together. It will be nice to see your MR2 Jordan.

Tonight I met up with a long time car enthusiast friend who I first met when we both had RX7s. He lives pretty local to me and had some 17x8 and 17x9 SSR Professor for sale. A quick test fit and it was difficult to see no and a deal was struck. I did like the Super Advan wheels but as you can see with my MX5s I like JDM wheels with a bit of dish.

craig

Post by craig »

I approve. 8)
will16v

Post by will16v »

The car looks tip top James, love the de-cluttered look with no fogs at the front even more so now. The wheels are a great addition from the period and the suit the car very much.

As has been said above, exterior styling the car is pretty much as it should be. Good work!
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

craig wrote:I approve. 8)

will16v wrote:The car looks tip top James, love the de-cluttered look with no fogs at the front even more so now. The wheels are a great addition from the period and the suit the car very much.

As has been said above, exterior styling the car is pretty much as it should be. Good work!

Thanks. I think the exterior is pretty much how I want it. As with my MX5s I like OG JDM wheels and this fits the bill. I used to run SSR Professors on my old RX7 and a wheel that suits the era of the car.

In other news my supercharged roadster had a new alloy radiator fitted this morning. This car is bloody noisy as essentially a track car with a fully forged engine built by Tomei Racing. The cams mean on idle it almost sounds like an old rally car. The old radiator I had noticed had a slight weep so new alloy radiator fitted, fresh coolant and run up to temperature which has maybe not made me popular on a Saturday morning.

juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

Madabout wrote:^^^ Good to see you part of this Sussex planned MR2 get together. It will be nice to see your MR2 Jordan.

Tonight I met up with a long time car enthusiast friend who I first met when we both had RX7s. He lives pretty local to me and had some 17x8 and 17x9 SSR Professor for sale. A quick test fit and it was difficult to see no and a deal was struck. I did like the Super Advan wheels but as you can see with my MX5s I like JDM wheels with a bit of dish.

Ooh she's a beaut mate, the SSR suit your 2 perfectly :thumleft:

Sox being lazy here as I'm looking on my phone screen here, is your 2 lowered, arch gaps look even to me and lowered, either way looks Bitchin fella \:D/
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Thanks. The SSR Professor are a wheel I've always liked since I had them on my RX7. The car is lowered. Wheels on the back are wider and deeper dish.
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

Found some photos of when I had the bodywork tidied up and some photos taken from work in progress. Thought I would share on here in case I lose them off my phone.

At the moment all quiet on the MR2 front. I still have work I need to get done on it like the rev1 carpet to go in, I also bought some polybushed front control arms that I rubbed down and coated in waxoyl last weekend, etc.
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

A busy few weeks in the Madabout Japanese car stable. I have on the one hand decided to downsize my fleet but on the other bought another mr2! I sold 2 of my mx5s (red MK1 and the white MK1) as not seeing enough use and decided 4x MX5s was enough. The MR2 I bought is/was an enthusiast owned 1997 yellow hardtop rev4 turbo. Today I have spent the afternoon with the seller who kindly agreed to help in swopping over parts from the red car to the yellow car. This means the spec of the yellow one is something like this.

1997 Genuine JDM Rev 4 MR2 Turbo GTS (576 Solar Yellow) Manufactured March 1997.

1. Rev5 rear spoiler with new gaskets from Toyota.
2. Upgraded headlights to clear and HID light.
3. Clear indicators, clear raptors also added.
4. Black grills on the side intake to keep the crap away from the bay.
5. All arches are rolled.
6. SSR Professor 17x9 ET49 and 17x9 ET37.
7. 25mm bolt on spacers.
8. Apex 40mm lowering springs on standard shocks.
9. Genuine 3SGTE with C20 turbo.
10. Apexi Induction Kit
11. Greddy style intercooler and pipes
12. HKS black limited edition SQV II dump valve.
13. Blue silicone hoses.
14. Magnacor HT leads
15. Cusco Engine braces for engine bay and frunk
16. 5 speed manual no crunches LSD Box
17. Peter Gibbon gear linkage kit.
18. UK 160mph Speedo Fitted.
19. Grooved disks all around with almost new mintex pads, recently changed brake
20. Full berk system with berk decat. Also have a brand new mid pipe with life time warranty
21. Full leather seats.
22. Custom made Blue bride door cards.
23. Custom made blue bride gear gaitor.
24. Custom made blue bride sun visors.
25. Rev1 Full Black headliner, sun visors, interior light, etc.
26. Recaro ‘JDM factory upgrade’ bucket seats
27. B&M short shifter.
28. Alan Bryson custom made centre console, with 3x25 Pro sport gauges. Oil pressure, boost, and oil temp.
29. HKS Turbo timer.
30. Zoom Engineering carbon fibre interior mirror.
31. TRD ball-type leather gear knob
32. Man in Danism carpets.
33. MK3 steering wheel.
34. Anniversary edition door sills.
35. Genuine Toyota MR2 trunk/boot lid liner.
36. Genuine Toyota MR2 tool kit.

The yellow one needs a little work but on the whole very nice. I really liked my red mr2 but this one came up locally for sale and I really fancied it having seen the car and figured being a genuine rev4 turbo, rare being in yellow with some nice extras worth a punt. It means I will need to sell the red one which is why some of you may have noticed I did a early for sale ad. In the meantime my driveway looks like any decent mr2 enthusiasts!!

Last edited by Madabout on Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
JLW

Post by JLW »

Love the new yellow motor mate, didn't notice aftermarket suspension listed
above, its running a little higher then the red car. Any plans for this ?
craig

Post by craig »

Lovely cars 8)
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Glad it worked out as you'd hoped. It is a lovely car, plenty of potential too :thumleft:

Return to “Member Profiles”