Andy's Rev 3 Turbo - Project complete.

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

aussieGT

Re: Andy's Rev 3 Turbo - Project complete.

Post by aussieGT »

androo007 wrote:I
Managed to bag some last minute Guns'n'Roses tickets (wish Slash) for Friday so that should make for a kiss-ass weekend!

Really??
androo007

Post by androo007 »

As in you're not a fan of Guns n Roses?

I guess Kylie Minogue is more your thing 8)

weekend = Guns'n'Roses, Dyno day then a good old barbie. win
aussieGT

Post by aussieGT »

'Kiss-ass' means to be a crawly suck bag to someone where I came from, I thought you may have meant 'Kick-ass' weekend. But hey, if kissing bums is your thing…

Kylie would have been ok back in the day, she's looking a bit old now.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Right you are

KICK-ASS
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

The 17th was ages ago dude????? :wink: :oldtongue:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Hey Geeman,

Lots of boo's and hisses I'm afraid.

I had my power run at 1pm on what was the hottest day of the year to date..... 30 degrees in a confined area doesnt relate well for turbo's!

There were a couple of things identified:

1) I'm only running 1.7 bar (25psi) rather than 28psi. No real problem, just needs upping for the power I want.

2) fuelling was still a bit lean as the revs increased. I hit 11.8 on spoolup then increases to 12.5 AFR by redline - obviously not optimal.

So the only stock fuel part left is the FRP, so i'm going to change this as a precaution, then try and find out why.

Then i've found a local, decent dyno to rent out and we're going to dyno tune again.

It could be likely that due to the temperatures the Link ECU's stepping on IAT / Timing is a bit overcautious, fine by me for safety but then again it's not mapped to optimum.

Key here really is to get more mapping time on a dyno.

in the end i made 380hp on a 30 degree day after 1.5 hours of driving. On a decent day i should be hitting around 420hp at that boost, then more at higher boost.

So a bit fustrating, but at least it's safe.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

That's a shame mate as you would have thought you'd have made more power going up in turbo size and with a bigger CC core, even with the weather being hot as i find with a charge cooler the weather doesn't effect power much at all.

Do you have the fuel graph when the car was mapped?

I'd check that first before spending more money on a FPR as i don't think it's really needed for your power levels.

I always find i run less boost on the dyno compared to the road as well.......
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

I remember from looking at your map that your boost control is open-loop wastegate duty cycle, rather than closed loop pressure tartget. With less load on the engine (no wind resistance to push against) you will always make less boost, and not as quickly than if you were on the road.

What were your IATs? How much ign retard vs IAT is it set up for? did your tuner calibrate this or is it left as the link base map settings?

What fuel pump do you have? We're the afr's staying lean on boost despite/after increasing/attempting to increase inj duty cycle? - as I kind of alluded to on faceache, it may not be the FPR but actually the stock fuel lines that are the bottle neck..
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
androo007

Post by androo007 »

sure, so I think that the ECU was overcompensating on the ignition timing, plus the fuelling was a little lean. perhaps with the less dense air the mapping just wasnt optimised as it was mapped when a lot cooler.

the FPR is a precaution to make sure its not starting to fail as it does look like the fuelling isnt keeping up at the top end. With new injectors, uprated fuel pump - the biggest weak link is the FPR. Maybe i'll just replace with OEM but i cant seem to find them new anywhere.

On mapping the CC itself worked really well, IATs never rose even after repeated long pulls.

Boost level - yeah it depends where the boost readings are pulled from - before or after IC, at Inlet manifold etc. In my case the gauge reads correctly, whereas the ECU read it higher (at IM). Which is weird. But yeah not quite where I wanted to be, but at the same time i'm pleased.

If thats what a 4540hp MR2 feels like then i'd be deeply disappointed. Just means i'll be super happy when I get there!

Im quite happy that componant wise, I'm there. I have a good intake, spark and fuelling system, now it's down to just sorting the reason why it was lean, and the map (maybe theyre interlinked). Map was deemed safe, just not optimal as we can see.

I'll post the graph up later today :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

So in an attempt to cheer myself up I upgraded the suspension this weekend.

Upgraded to Bilstein B6's (yellow billies), new droplinks all around and APEX lowering springs. Much to my surprise, once finished it looked exactly the same!

The standard shocks were in good condition, still rebounding perfectly but I always wanted something a little firmer to get off the line better :)

Bad news is now the rear main seal has looked to be getting worse so i'll have to have this sorted once and for all before I go any further. I'll be asking Predator Performance to do it.

Quite frankly p!ssed off with all the problems I've had from the initial build and the ballache (and cost!) it's been to keep sorting. Also noticed that the sump that I had a bung welded in was sanded and welded, and no protection applied after so it's rusting pretty fast all up the side of the sump and pretty bad. Another fix to add to the list.
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

androo007 wrote:So in an attempt to cheer myself up I upgraded the suspension this weekend.

Upgraded to Bilstein B6's (yellow billies), new droplinks all around and APEX lowering springs. Much to my surprise, once finished it looked exactly the same!

The standard shocks were in good condition, still rebounding perfectly but I always wanted something a little firmer to get off the line better :)

Bad news is now the rear main seal has looked to be getting worse so i'll have to have this sorted once and for all before I go any further. I'll be asking Predator Performance to do it.

Quite frankly p!ssed off with all the problems I've had from the initial build and the ballache (and cost!) it's been to keep sorting. Also noticed that the sump that I had a bung welded in was sanded and welded, and no protection applied after so it's rusting pretty fast all up the side of the sump and pretty bad. Another fix to add to the list.

Hello mate. Good work on the suspension and no doubt one of those jobs that is an improvement. Stick with it and the car will come right and you can fully enjoy it.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Thanks pal, appreciated! I hope so....!
androo007

Post by androo007 »

So we have a dyno now booked for tuning time, looking like second week of August. Good!

I've noticed that the steering has the habit of being a bit wandery on motorways and duellies. When I got the car it came with new lower arm bushes all round, so today I had a spare hour so whipped on some fresh ball joints:

Tip - don't mess with forks or pullers - just take the lower arm off, hold in one hand whack with a mallet 1,2, 3 and it's out! Dead easy

Old rose joints like a floppy dick, so well worth swapping for fresh. Will get the rears on too then pop to the alignment centre
androo007

Post by androo007 »

So the last piece of the puzzle to fix all the bodges arrived today - Main rear seal.

In the point of fairness this had been offered to be rectified under warranty at any given time, however given the list of problems now I quite frankly have lost confidence in getting home without another problem.
Last edited by androo007 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

What problems have you had andy?
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Breakdown due to oil pressure switch failure - took about 6-8 weeks to diagnose and rectify if i recall correctly.

Second breakdown (well I stopped driving to be careful) due to low oil pressure but took umpteen weeks to send manual pressure gauge to see if I could safely drive.I actually bought my own in the end and it arrived before.

Oil pickup hanging loose as oil pump studs snapped due to suspected over-torqueing leading to low oil pressure & (strong suspected) destruction of turbo (Oil pump replaced under warranty). Thankfully engine was at acceptable pressure levels so 0 damage or other wear occurred.

Loose bolts underneath

Cams installed incorrectly - exhaust camshaft a tooth out

Cam assembly installed incorrectly . ruined belt after 1000 miles as running off cam gears - funny washer identified, whole belt stripdown needed, re-timed and new belt needed

Rear main oil seal installed incorrectly - gearbox / clutch / flywheel out job.

Sump bung welded and area sanded but no protection added so now corrosion taking over

Charge cooler pump installed back to front, far too low to be safe and wired to ignition rather than battery (optional)

Long time for invoices

Again - in the interest of fairness it was always made clear that wrong doings would be corrected FOC - but being 4 hours drive away, and multiple issues found in succession meant I have decided to have items remedied to a satisfactory standard elsewhere.
Last edited by androo007 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

absolutely shocking. ](*,) How many more members cars does he want to xxxx up?!

STAY AWAY FROM THE SPANNERS ](*,)
MR2 Turbo Boy

Post by MR2 Turbo Boy »

A long list bud, WE ALL should have gone gone to Paul Woods.. :whistle:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Anyway, another small mod today... Alan Bryson clock special! I'm usually not a fan but at £2 well worth a punt.

Standard clock

With red insert

I think I like it!
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I'm with you on that. Not usually my kind of thing, but that is really tidy and looks almost OEM :thumleft:

Return to “Member Profiles”