99 BEAMS REV 5

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

C35Rob

Re: 99 BEAMS REV 5

Post by C35Rob »

goo net and tradecarview are fun to look at, but as said above the prices are often ridiculous, you need to check the recent sales data from USS auctions to see what things are really worth.. :thumleft:
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Jayridium

Post by Jayridium »

I'm currently prowling the market places looking for a sonic shadow t-bar beams, alsmot beginning to think such cars do not exist :-(
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

They do exist, I've seen them on the Japanese classifieds. Not many around though and are often advertised for top money.

Might be best off speaking to an importer who can find something via auctions. Will be a long process waiting for the right car to come up.
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

T bars are rarer on later model cars.

Friend here in NZ spent two years waiting for a T bar gen5 turbo to come up the auctions in Japan.
RST

Post by RST »

From speaking to owners of them - they say they are pretty much like a normal NA but if you like to rev your cars out the beams drives ok.

Couldn't help you with a stock car but I swapped an SW20 BEAMS into my 1993 rev 2. I've had gen 2 N/A and a gen 3 turbo (MR2 and GT4) and the BEAMS was still my favourite, although I did tinker with mine. I loved my red top but it was never the best bang for the buck -depends what you are wanting, it definately did not feel like a normal N/A.

The main imoc board is the best place for BEAMS info, though it's not got much input from the UK. I've not been on it for ages -I sold the car years ago.

Cheers,

Rich
Jayridium

Post by Jayridium »

I'm beginning to think that my best bet would be to find a nice rev 4/5 sonic shadow car as a first step, engine is irrelevant. Then later transplant an altezza black top beams engine into it with standalone engine management, then that is the framework in place to allow tinkering in the form of either a supercharger, or throttlebodies.
synXero

Post by synXero »

Jayridium wrote:I'm beginning to think that my best bet would be to find a nice rev 4/5 sonic shadow car as a first step, engine is irrelevant. Then later transplant an altezza black top beams engine into it with standalone engine management, then that is the framework in place to allow tinkering in the form of either a supercharger, or throttlebodies.

This is significantly more work than you think it is bro. So many people have thought of that and almost no one has done it! The major problem ofc is that Altezza is an FF car.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Yep, it won't be easy. You'll also need some parts from a red top BEAMS as well (intake manifold for example) which are very hard to find.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”