www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
Hello and a question about scuttle shake

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK3 2000-2007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfmorton

Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Hello and a question about scuttle shake Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Hello IMOC'ers. I have just joined as I am now the proud owner of a 2002 MK3.
I actually had a MK1 many many years ago which I had to sell when my first child came along...now said first child is as tall as me (6'1") and has got his own car. My daughter is starting to drive in a couple of months so it seemed the perfect time to go back to the MR2 which I always loved. I was actually a member of the IMOC community when it was on the old Yahoo groups, and still receive IMOC-Chat messages haha.

Anyway - I bought the very first car I looked at. It's in a lovely Spectra blue and really good condition. The first thing I did once home is check for any signs of the dreaded oil burning. Luckily there is no evidence to suggest anything a miss. I then did an oil change and whipped off the exhaust manifold and bashed out the pre-cat (surprisingly all the bolts came out no problem). There were no signs of fracture, but now it's gone it can't cause any damage.

So onto my question then...scuttle shake. This thing really does shake quite a lot. Any undulations in the road make the think come alive, not in a good way. I've heard of chassis/steering feedback - but this is ridiculous. How much scuttle shake is considered normal, if at all?

Thanks.
mr2carol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Im not really aware of scuttle shake in my mk3. The ride is smooth and compliant so something may be amiss.
tfmorton

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

What do you think might be the cause...dodgy tyres perhaps?
Jvanzyl

2001 Toyota MR2 Mk3 Roadster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello and a question about scuttle shake Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

tfmorton wrote:

So onto my question then...scuttle shake. This thing really does shake quite a lot. Any undulations in the road make the think come alive, not in a good way. I've heard of chassis/steering feedback - but this is ridiculous. How much scuttle shake is considered normal, if at all?

Thanks.

You can save a heck of a lot of effort by going for drive in another MK3... where you based? I'm sure if there isn't a MK3 near you on this forum there will be one local to you on MR2ROC... basically everyone is usually very happy to take others out for drives and you'll be able to quickly tell what's "normal" - otherwise you might spend ages talking around the topic...
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK3 2000-2007 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: