Clutch bleeding tips.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

stecad

Clutch bleeding tips.

Post by stecad »

Just had to replace the slave cylinder and had the tough job of working out the best way to do this. For some reason couldn't find any definitive posts on the forum.
The problem is that the slave cylinder sits above the bleed nipple.
I was also replacing the hose with a Goodridge so there was plenty of air in the whole system.
You can do this alone but a second person does help.

Tools - 10 mm ring spanner for the bleed nipple.
Rubber lever - I used the end of my Teng 3/8 ratchet wrench. You can use your thumb but I found that you get more leverage with the ratchet. You need to use the lever to fully actuate the slave cyclinder by pushing it all the way in by jamming the lever against the clutch fork.
Vac bleeder.

Step 1 - Ensure the fluid reservoir is topped up with fresh brake fluid.
Step 2 - Push clutch pedal down and leave down. Connect vac bleeder and pull through fluid so that it runs clear out of the nipple. Close nipple.
Step 3 - Bring pedal back up and top up fluid reservoir.
Step 4 - Bleed nipple closed. Set vac pump up so negative pressure on line.
Step 5 - Use end of wrench to lever against clutch fork to actuate slave cylinder. Repeat this 3-4 times to pressurise the slave cylinder. On last cycle keep slave cylinder actuated and hold. Open bleed nipple and watch the air poor out. Close bleed nipple. Ensure vac pump is pumped back up.
Step 6 - Top up brake fluid in Master cylinder.
Step 7 - Repeat from Step 4.

You should find that after 2 cycles of this the clutch pedal should work and you will actually see the slave cylinder working. This is the stage where a friend can help by pressing the clutch pedal.
Good luck. Hope this helps someone.
steve
abovetherim

Re: Clutch bleeding tips.

Post by abovetherim »

Good post.
But when you say actuate the slave by pushing against the fork, do you mean push the rod back inside the slave or push the fork away allowing the rod to extend?

I last did mine with a gunson pressure bleeder. Pressure at the reservoir, bleed through. Then with the nipple open push the rod into the slave a couple of times, still with pressure on then close nipple. Worked first time and not counting getting the car up in the air and getting tools out it took no more than 5 mins.
stecad

Post by stecad »

Hi, always tricky to be 100% clear so thanks for the question.

Push the fork against the rod so that the rod is pushed back into the slave cylinder.
Daemonslayer

Post by Daemonslayer »

i have massive problems bleeding the clutch line on my MR2 turbo today.
I did this once 2009 on a electric lift.took a while but worked back then.

Now my car is in the garage and i have jacked it up 40 cm estimated on the rear.
Front tires are on the floor.The slave cylinder was completley removed and cleared of oil.(had my engine mounts rebuilt).So the system is completley empty.

First problem i have i my new goodridge Clutch line comes with a blue anoized alloy adapter to be threaded into the slave cylinder.
This fitting is to short in comparison to our OEM hose connector which is ultra long.So it contacts with the slave cylinders surface before the inner cone parts "touch".Not optimal.
Can you advise me here?

to the bleeding:

I had one person checking the front reservoir,one person pumping and holding the pedal.And me opening the bleeder valve.

the Oil just moved forward,then backward in the connected bleeder hose.

Then we tried to pump the pedal,hold,open bleeder valve.wait,close bleeder valve.pump,repeat.
this resulted in a beeter bleeding.but after 1 hour we gave up.

what am i doing wrong?I changed a clutch myself, i rebuilt an engine,i can change wheel bearings,but this thing?!
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

Daemonslayer wrote:

Then we tried to pump the pedal,hold,open bleeder valve.wait,close bleeder valve.pump,repeat.
this resulted in a beeter bleeding.but after 1 hour we gave up.

This should work, it did for me.
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
stecad

Post by stecad »

Hi mate, not quite sure what's happening with your system. If you read my post and repeat each step it will work. You do need a vac bleeder so that this is pulling the fluid through for you while the pedal is down. The pedal needs to be down otherwise you will be pulling against a blank end.
Do all the clutch actuation by levering the fork yourself from under the car, but do make sure the pedal is down so that the fluid can move through the system.
Good luck.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”