www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index
 AlbumAlbum CalendarCalendar FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist Legal NoticeLegal Notice IMOC 1/4 Mile1/4 Mile Table Knowledge BaseKnowledge Base   RegisterRegister 
 GarageCommittee GarageGarage  SubscriptionPremium Membership  ProfileProfile   Log in to check private messagesLog in to check private messages   Log inLog in 
Calendar 
MK1a / MK1b Clutch Slave Cylinder and Rod difference?

Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
playmonkey

Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: MK1a / MK1b Clutch Slave Cylinder and Rod difference? Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Continuing saga of my engine transplant. Just gone to move the car for the first time since changing the engine and box from a MK1b to my MK1a.

I decided to leave the clutch slave cylinder on the car so I wouldn't have to bleed it [Rolling Eyes] but have just come up with a floppy clutch pedal. I'm pretty sure that the clutch plate has not stuck... well, I suppose it could have - hmmmm

Anyways - question....

Are the clutch slave cylinders and push rods the same on the MK1a and the MK1b and... if the clutch has stuck on....

Best way of freeing it? I've already started the car with it in gear - that was exciting as I only have about five feet until a solid object!

Thanks in advance.

PM
Lauren
IMOC Committee

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

I thought the slaves were the same, I could be wrong.

I've had the clutch stick on the AE86 once when it had been sitting a couple of years. I just did it on the starter, soon free'd it off.
PW@Woodsport
IMOC Affiliated Company

Feedback Score: 30

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Clutch slaves are all identical from 84-89, as it the clutch slave push rod, all identical.

Did you change the clutch or fit the whole engine gearbox from another car complete as one unit?

It sounds to me like either the release bearing is not installed properly or some other clutch installation fault.

If you never opened up the clutch hydraulic circuit the issue must be inside the bellhousing.

Feedback Score: 8

1990 Toyota MR2 Mk1b

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Did you put the clutch plate on the right way around?

Sounds silly but this happened to me when changing a clutch 15 years ago on a Triumph Acclaim.
playmonkey

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Thanks for the replies.

Both cars were driving fine, gearbox and clutches ok.

I took the engine and box out of the 1b and put the whole thing in my 1a.

Never split the engine/box. I left the hydraulics intact when changing and just bolted the slave back on the replaced unit.

I've only just noticed because I needed to move the car. it never occurred to me that it wouldn't be working....

I'll have to have a closer look I suppose, but it's very odd and unexpected.

Also, for some reason the car won't roll easily. Two of us couldn't push her easily but it's definitely not turning the engine when pushing.

All very strange.
jimzzr

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Is the clutch arm actually moving when the clutch is pressed?

You say floppy pedal is there any resistance? - I've had the seal stick in the master cylinder before when trying to bleed - i.e. relying on the spring in the master cylinder to push the seal back whereas in normal operation the force of the clutch overcomes any stickiness.
playmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Reply with quote including images

Sorry, been away for a while. Going to check on the movement when i can get someone to sit in the car and press the pedal. Ta
Post new topic   Reply to topic       www.imoc.co.uk Forum Index -> MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: