Cuts out after a few seconds of idling *SOLVED*

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Pauln

Re: Cuts out after a few seconds of idling *SOLVED*

Post by Pauln »

Dale_V wrote:hmmm, im sure thats a similar thing to the leaking capacitor issue, do a search on here and youll find alot of info

I have had similar mysterious cutting out issues on an na and a turbo which I eventually traced to the ecu. One would run OK for a while and then just decide to cut out in the worst possible place, like the middle of a busy roundabout. The other had a habit of dying when you dropped the revs at a junction and pushed the clutch in.

The na ECU looked fine with no signs of a leaking capacitor, but we eventually found it was turning off the injectors after a few mins, so there was obviously some sort of fault in there.

When I opened up the turbo ecu I found two of the capacitors had started to leak and damage the tracks. In this case the engine management light also came on and at one point fancied itself as disco lighting.

Changing ecu in both cars sorted the issues. But both cars were rev 2, and leaking capacitors on that rev does seem to be a common issue.

Unfortunately there are so many things that could cause this, so this may not your issue, but given how easy it is to whip the cover off the ecu, it's got to be worth taking a quick look for any signs of leaking caps.

Paul
dark_uk

Post by dark_uk »

Pauln wrote:
Dale_V wrote:hmmm, im sure thats a similar thing to the leaking capacitor issue, do a search on here and youll find alot of info

I have had similar mysterious cutting out issues on an na and a turbo which I eventually traced to the ecu. One would run OK for a while and then just decide to cut out in the worst possible place, like the middle of a busy roundabout. The other had a habit of dying when you dropped the revs at a junction and pushed the clutch in.

The na ECU looked fine with no signs of a leaking capacitor, but we eventually found it was turning off the injectors after a few mins, so there was obviously some sort of fault in there.

When I opened up the turbo ecu I found two of the capacitors had started to leak and damage the tracks. In this case the engine management light also came on and at one point fancied itself as disco lighting.

Changing ecu in both cars sorted the issues. But both cars were rev 2, and leaking capacitors on that rev does seem to be a common issue.

Unfortunately there are so many things that could cause this, so this may not your issue, but given how easy it is to whip the cover off the ecu, it's got to be worth taking a quick look for any signs of leaking caps.

Paul

Cheers Paul,

It's definitely one for the list of things to check! This evening I'll

* Check error codes again if I can simulate the issue
* Pull the ECU and inspect the board, paying particular attention to the capacitors
* Clean up the ignitor and coil bracket and the bolts. And validate there's a good ground with multimeter
dark_uk

Post by dark_uk »

You guys are gonna love this!

So I went to investigate my ecu last night

Whats this?

Oh

Oh man

What it should look like

Perhaps that's the reason? :lol: :lol:
Bear87

Post by Bear87 »

Looks like a bullet hole! :lol:
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

I think you might need a new ecu :whistle:

Wtf is that about then?
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Wow, that cap certainly blew big time. Usually they just seem to spew nasty gunk every where that eats into the circuit board, rather than blow a hole clean through the board.

Paul
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

ive got this one. if its any good to you male me a offer.
dark_uk

Post by dark_uk »

Will that work with my MR2? Rev 2 import with gen2 3SGE
qwakers

Post by qwakers »

mines a import mk2 rev 1 3sge. i genuinely dont know if there are any compatibility issues. all i know is the car ran fine with it fitted but i havent taken the covers off.
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

I believe at the very least the connectors need a bit of re-pinning before you can fit a rev 1 ECU to a Rev 2. Whether there are any others issues, I really don't know (eg mechanical speedo rev 1/electronic rev 2.

Wishing to play safe when my JDM 3SG rev 2 ECU died I hung out for a 17350.

Paul
dark_uk

Post by dark_uk »

Pauln wrote:I believe at the very least the connectors need a bit of re-pinning before you can fit a rev 1 ECU to a Rev 2. Whether there are any others issues, I really don't know (eg mechanical speedo rev 1/electronic rev 2.

Wishing to play safe when my JDM 3SG rev 2 ECU died I hung out for a 17350.

Paul

I've made a call to MR MR2 in sheffield. He was really helpful and will go hunting for one for me. Time to sit tight and wait it out :)
dark_uk

Post by dark_uk »

I'm struggling to find an ecu! Does anyone have a 89661-17350 knocking about?? Thanks!
dark_uk

Post by dark_uk »

Another update guys;

After a lot of searches through forums, eBay, etc. I was still having a really hard time finding a match for this ECU!

I ended up calling Paul over at Woodsport one evening. He took the time to hunt through his stock and do the research to find me a compatible ECU based off my part number and found me one within minutes! He didnt even want anything for it! (I just covered postage!). Within an hour I had my ECU packaged and ready to go out next day shipping.

It's rare nowadays you see companies that take time out of their day and are so supportive of your everyday enthusiasts like me so I wanted to make it known in this thread that Paul at Woodsport is an absolute legend.

ECU arrived, plugged in and boom! She's fixed! Properly cold idled and the car drives spot on. Proper throttle response and butter smooth power curve that we get with these cars.

Some glamour shots after a clean and polish now it's back on the road :)

pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

The good stories about Paul just keep rolling in. Top lad!

Glad you're back on the road
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Excellent news :thumleft:

Did you check the caps were OK or had already been replaced before you fitted it?

Paul
MartinF

Post by MartinF »

Pauln wrote:Wow, that cap certainly blew big time. Usually they just seem to spew nasty gunk every where that eats into the circuit board, rather than blow a hole clean through the board.

Paul

LOL, there was no cap there. Looks like somebody has accidently drilled through the ECU :cry:
Blue Lexus RCF
Black MKIV UK Manual Supra
Green MK2 MR2 Tin Top
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

i'm stunned at the root cause of this but way to go Woodsport :clap: :thumleft:
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

Damn I forgot how good these cars look in yellow.

My first ever ride in an SW20 back in 1996 was in a yellow G Limited. From then on I wanted one.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

pbmr2 wrote:The good stories about Paul just keep rolling in. Top lad!

Glad you're back on the road

Another BIG thumbs up for Paul Woods from me - what a top guy!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”