Rev5 N/A Suspension Upgrade

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

L14HRE

Rev5 N/A Suspension Upgrade

Post by L14HRE »

Hi Guys/Gals

Looking for some advise,

Im looking to make my mr2 into a really good handling back road car (not track)

My plan is to keep my standard rev5 wheels because there nice and light and i prefer the handling on them compared to the 17" i have also

I also have plans to add front and rear whiteline arbs

What my question is is it a worth while upgrade on the n/a to the Black Bilstiens that are on the turbo and Tein springs...... or do i hold out for a set of yellows (if they ever come up)

Are the black bilstiens a worth while upgrade for the n/a

Thanks in advance

Steven
b4ss

Re: Rev5 N/A Suspension Upgrade

Post by b4ss »

L14HRE wrote:Hi Guys/Gals

Looking for some advise,

Im looking to make my mr2 into a really good handling back road car (not track)

My plan is to keep my standard rev5 wheels because there nice and light and i prefer the handling on them compared to the 17" i have also

I also have plans to add front and rear whiteline arbs

What my question is is it a worth while upgrade on the n/a to the Black Bilstiens that are on the turbo and Tein springs...... or do i hold out for a set of yellows (if they ever come up)

Are the black bilstiens a worth while upgrade for the n/a

Thanks in advance

Steven

Hi,
I bought a new set of yellow for me rev5 Turbo, I find them great on the road and the odd track day, but i don't have an experience with coil overs to compare them with.

My car came with black blisteins, which were nice but a bit jaded, the yellows seem a bit harder, well worth the investment if you are planning on keeping the car.
T
L14HRE

Post by L14HRE »

Thanks man,

only problem is yellow billys seem to be like hens teeth!! and for what i paid for the car im reluctant to spend that on new ones......
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

When we bought our v6, it had the rebuildable earlier REv2 (I think) struts with adjustable Koni dampers with stock springs, it was way better than stock struts I had on my Rev 5. I plan on buying either 30-40mm spax springs instead of the oem springs.

Currently I have tein flex coil overs fitted but when they're shot, I'm putting back my Koni shocks in, best ride handling imo
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

i just bought Yellow Bilsteins for my rev3 turbo and yeah they weren't cheap consider that's just the dampers! You have rebuildable struts (uk n/a I presume?) so just go for upgraded dampers and springs and you'll be fine. You can get Yellow Bilsteins from Germany for about 100quid less than the UK if you can wait approx 2wks for delivery :thumleft:
L14HRE

Post by L14HRE »

raptor95GTS wrote:i just bought Yellow Bilsteins for my rev3 turbo and yeah they weren't cheap consider that's just the dampers! You have rebuildable struts (uk n/a I presume?) so just go for upgraded dampers and springs and you'll be fine. You can get Yellow Bilsteins from Germany for about 100quid less than the UK if you can wait approx 2wks for delivery :thumleft:

Its a rev5 n/a i have so not sure if i can rebuild them?
HughesR1

Post by HughesR1 »

L14HRE wrote:

Its a rev5 n/a i have so not sure if i can rebuild them?

I'm 99% sure the rev 5 NA standard shocks are rebuildable. If you're not doing trackdays then I wouldn't be so quick to overlook OEM dampers if they're replaced or in good condition. I personally have Spax PSX adjustable dampers and springs on my Rev 5 which are a good compromise between track and road, but I wouldn't recommend them for JUST road use. I've tried a few different suspension setups over the years but I still think my bone stock rev2 N/A was one of the best for blasting down a B-road as it was compliant and predictable. Don't get me wrong on track or big open sweeping roads it would be a bit too soft but B-roads it felt right. I'm sure new or low mileage black or yellow bilsteins would also be a great option though.

IIRC I read somewhere about the race guys changing the shock oil in their dampers too, which is a cheap way of uprating your existing dampers if you can do it.

Have a look at this pic below, should help you see if your struts are rebuildable :thumleft: :D

1998 MR2 Rev5 NA (Road & Track)
1998 Porsche Boxster 986 (Weekend)
2007 Ford S-Max Titanium (Family Hack!)
L14HRE

Post by L14HRE »

Thanks guys,

There is nothing wrong with the shocks or springs i have.....

just got the opportunity of a set of HSD Monopros............

Also considering just leaving the suspension and getting front and rear whiteline arbs instead
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

:shock: these look based upon stick strut but new and built up to your own spec, but will be expensive...

http://wilhelmraceworks.com/koni-coilovers
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

juliankv73 wrote::shock: these look based upon stick strut but new and built up to your own spec, but will be expensive...

http://wilhelmraceworks.com/koni-coilovers

yeah I looked at them, holy smokes never were cheap and after the dollar rate crash :pale:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”