The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

stuMR2lee

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by stuMR2lee »

Magic Beans wrote:
stuMR2lee wrote:Yep. Full on budgie squeak warning system if someone steps near the car!

Ahh, delightful things. That wire accidentally broke did it? :wink:

Indeed. Whilst unplugging it! To be fair it's not as bad as other ones and the alarm system has been very reliable.
craig

Post by craig »

Man, you don't waste any time!! :mrgreen:

had to view these updates on the laptop, as it killed my iphone 6 multiple times :lol:

Nice work mate, it really does look a perfectly clean example 8)
Ben

Post by Ben »

Magic Beans wrote:
stuMR2lee wrote:Yep. Full on budgie squeak warning system if someone steps near the car!

Ahh, delightful things. That wire accidentally broke did it? :wink:

Ah damnit. Think of how much fun I could have had with that :lol:
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

I had completely forgotten about that cable in the centre box Phil. I thought it was just something from a previous installation and never traced its route.
Also, in the photo of that cable, there seems to be a black box attached to the inside upper of the storage box. Whats that? I don't recall seeing that when I had it :shock:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

craig wrote:had to view these updates on the laptop, as it killed my iphone 6 multiple times :lol:

Ooops! Smaller files next time round O:)

Ben wrote:Ah damnit. Think of how much fun I could have had with that :lol:

Let's hope I don't forget to fix that then.. :lol:

muckyman wrote:Also, in the photo of that cable, there seems to be a black box attached to the inside upper of the storage box. Whats that? I don't recall seeing that when I had it :shock:

I don't spend too much time looking at it, but assume it's the box that connector fits into.
Last edited by Magic Beans on Tue May 23, 2017 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I'm now fully sold on the active silencer, awesome thing! Quiet on idle and low revs but goes into full shouty mode when you hit boost! For the morning commute, like today, it's perfect. Not something I'd have in all the time but perfect for long journeys or early starts :D

http://www.apexi-usa.com/store/index.ph ... r-tip.html

I'd need to do some checking but I'm hoping they fit the Rogue Revision 6 exhaust too. I think/hope the tip diameters are the same :-k I also need to do some proper sound comparisons, also what the effects are on EGTs and engine response.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Another day another few little jobs done. First up was checking all the fluids etc, to make sure they're both topped up and looking good. Which I'm happy to report they were :) No real surprise but it's always good to be sure.

Now to do phase 2 of the sticker removal. Tonight's target: The engine bay.

Before:

After:

I also decided to remove the stock engine stay. The car has gas rams front and back, meaning it's basically just weight. I'll keep it though, just in case..

Before I quite for the night I wanted to finish removing the wiring etc from the frunk, that serviced an amp etc that has previously been removed. Took the lid stay out too, for the same reason as the rear.

Only a few more days until I get my hands on the coliovers, brace, BPV, exhaust, SMIC and a few other bits. Then I'll be really busy!
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Checked the tyre pressures tonight The rears were pretty good but the fronts were way too low. Went for 32/36 respectively, as they seem to be a good to go for 17's. Did a test run and everything felt much better.

The car is really planted and sticks so well in the corners. Really interested to see what different the parts I'm going to add will make!

The other job is to do something I didn't get chance to do the other day: Wax her. Easy enough to do, apart from the fact that a few days had passed since I washed it. Out came the full cleaning kit again! 8-[ Once clean and dried it was time to apply lashings of wax. It's also another opportunity to go over the paintwork in fine detail. As I've said before, for a 19 year old car the paint is superb!

Gotta love this weather! :cheers:

pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

looking good :thumleft:
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Looks lovely mate. Tuned in...again :lol:

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

You have Chris to thank for the paintwork. I just kept it as good as I could. Definitely polishes up nice. Great photo - not easy to capture the shine on a white car.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

JAAASH wrote:Looks lovely mate. Tuned in...again :lol:

Thank you, sir :)

You've not been around for a while. About time you updated your build thread :mrgreen:

stuMR2lee wrote:You have Chris to thank for the paintwork. I just kept it as good as I could. Definitely polishes up nice. Great photo - not easy to capture the shine on a white car.

Agreed, they can be a pain to get right. Get the focus and exposure right and the rest you can correct in Lightroom :D
JAAASH
IMOC Moderator

Post by JAAASH »

Magic Beans wrote:You've not been around for a while. About time you updated your build thread :mrgreen:

I know, i know :oops: I keep meaning to sit down and do it. Might have a go this weekend. Haven't updated it for over a year though! #-o

My MR2 - http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=174494
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Final few little jobs done, ahead of the big parts arrival after this weekend.

Pulled the audio wiring out of the Frunk. I'll never use it, it's dead weight and I don't like exposed wires floating around in cars. Didn't get a shot of before but here's one after the wire strip.

Then out with the head unit etc so all the spare wires could be removed at source.

Back together.

I then took to cleaning it all out, along with the other gubbins that goes in there. The liner hasn't split, which isn't surprising given the wider car's condition. It is the first I've ever had that hasn't had splits in it though.

Then all back together, including replacing a few missing or now broken clips. I bought some spares when I got Mule VI but never got around to using them. It was my CBA phase.. 8-[

Checked the underside. Everything is side and has been well protected. All the polybushes accounted for (wanted to check, before I sell the lot off Mule VII). I did try to remove the active silencer from the exhaust, to do a comparison video etc. Failed to get it out, but did succeed in having hands like a chimney sweep!

Everything engine wise is spot on, I'm basically out of things to do now! As I result I've spent far too long engineering a solution to stop the gate from making any noise when it's closed. As you do.. :roll:
craig

Post by craig »

Nice work Phil. Latest car pic looks great. I need to get off my ar$e and do some engine bay and frunk detailing! 8)
MR2 Turbo Boy

Post by MR2 Turbo Boy »

As usual -great attention to details..:)
muckyman

Post by muckyman »

Lol, the active silencer is tight - damn tight.
I did it by using two pairs of pliers to grip the 'fins' and pulled while rocking slightly side to side. Once it starts coming out it gets much easier.
Give it another go, don't be a quitter [-(
:lol:
stuMR2lee

Post by stuMR2lee »

muckyman wrote:Lol, the active silencer is tight - damn tight.
I did it by using two pairs of pliers to grip the 'fins' and pulled while rocking slightly side to side. Once it starts coming out it gets much easier.

My trick was using an old towel/rag threaded around the fins then sit on the ground and pull. To get it back in use a light smear of thin grease. Wear Gloves, lol
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

craig wrote:Nice work Phil. Latest car pic looks great. I need to get off my ar$e and do some engine bay and frunk detailing! 8)

You can do it after you've made the changes we discussed :mrgreen:

MR2 Turbo Boy wrote:As usual -great attention to details..:)

I have to do it all or I don't sleep, seriously :lol:

muckyman wrote:Lol, the active silencer is tight - damn tight.

Next week then. I'll do a comparison video while I'm at it :-k
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

stuMR2lee wrote:My trick was using an old towel/rag threaded around the fins then sit on the ground and pull. To get it back in use a light smear of thin grease. Wear Gloves, lol

Yeah, all of that would have made sense. 6 hand washes later and they're still black! #-o :lol:

Return to “Member Profiles”