1994 MR2 GT turbo T-bar

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

craig

Re: 1994 MR2 GT turbo T-bar

Post by craig »

johnsonca9 wrote:Glad to see the repairs done properly, and on a plus point, you've found out by looking rather than finding out at 120+MPH on a 'private road'!!!

Likewise!! :pale:

GeorgeL wrote:Glad to see how this is turning around Craig, I am really glad you decided to take it to Simon. It's just a shame that you are only now getting a car in the condition it should have been. Hopefully I'll get to see it soon also mate. Enjoy :)

Cheers mate, it is a shame, but taking the car to Simon was the best decision I made with this car. Plus, it means I got to have a look round your beast and its very tasty boot install! 8)

Just looking forward to it being 100% now :D

Dale_V wrote:
benjo wrote:Isn't M1 a private road \:D/

Last time Craig put his toe down on the m1 he ended up at Barnsley magistrates :lol: , which led to him being a bus w4nker for a brief period :whistle:

:lol:

Yeah, that sucked. Can't believe that was 2005! 110mph on M1 resulting in a 3 week ban and £150 in costs.....and a monthly bus pass #-o :lol:

I did get chauffeured to court in an MR2 though :mrgreen:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

craig wrote:

Yeah, that sucked. Can't believe that was 2005! 110mph on M1 resulting in a 3 week ban and £150 in costs.....and a monthly bus pass #-o :lol:

Imagine what you'd get today for the same thing!
craig

Post by craig »

Gazza_DJ wrote:
craig wrote:

http://www.pepipoo.com/Magistrates_guidelines.htm

:thumleft:
JLW

Post by JLW »

Great to see all the WRONGS now RIGHTED ! Simon's speed is something
to behold, and the fact that you now know its all done is a major bonus.
Going to underseal mine fully in a spate of hot weather this summer.
Mine is mint underneath and want to keep it that way.

Nice to have another YVS car on board. A few coming out now :D
benjo

Post by benjo »

craig wrote:
Gazza_DJ wrote:
craig wrote:

http://www.pepipoo.com/Magistrates_guidelines.htm

:thumleft:

Just done it 6 points and £50 fine lmao self employed good account :thumleft:
Too weird to live, to rare to die
craig

Post by craig »

Not so much an update on the car, just a side project...

I had a spare rev 3 boot lid and spoiler in the loft, as this was removed from the car when the freshly painted Bomex spoiler and boot lid were fitted. I brought the boot lid/spoiler down from the loft....

I'd previously removed the GT-S badge from the (now spare) boot lid, big mistake! After 23 years, this left a lovely badge outline behind. I tried to polish this out and went through the paint #-o :lol:

I fancied seeing what I could achieve, so went to Halfords and bought some colour match Astral Black 202.

I also picked up a can of lacquer. Already had some primer kicking around at home.

Right, to the boot lid! I flatted off the old GT-S badge outline with 800 grade wet and dry paper and cleaned the area.

Next, 2 coats of primer were applied to the area. I used white spirit to get rid of over spray. With the primer cured, it was then flatted off:

It was then sprayed with 2 coats of Halfords colour match 202. Once dry, I wet flatted it off with 2000 grade wet and dry paper, dried it off and applied 2 coats of lacquer.

Once this had dried, I wet flatted it off with 2000 grade wet and dry paper. Followed up with a cutting compound, and then polish.

I'm pretty happy with the results, the Halfords colour match is spot on! Not bad to say my paintwork with rattle cans is blended into 23 year old paint!

It's come up like a mirror:

Not bad for £14! :lol:

It was never my intention, but I'm tempted to put it on the car now #-o :lol:
Last edited by craig on Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
androo007

Post by androo007 »

I am impressed! Well done
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Looking good

What you car needs is some oz super leggerra wheels
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

pistol pete wrote:Looking good

:mrgreen:

Good work on the paint, Craig. One step closer to what we've discussed :whistle:
craig

Post by craig »

androo007 wrote:I am impressed! Well done

pistol pete wrote:Looking good

Magic Beans wrote:

Good work on the paint, Craig. One step closer to what we've discussed :whistle:

Cheers guys!

Pete - let me guess, you know exactly where there's a set going for sale? :wink: :mrgreen:

Phil - yep, one step closer! Not 100% decided whether to fit it or not yet, it was originally just something to do, to see if I could rescue the paint. As it turns out it's a great job with a factory finish. This has just made the decision harder! :lol:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

*Cough* Rev 5 spoiler *cough* :whistle:
craig

Post by craig »

Magic Beans wrote:*Cough* Rev 5 spoiler *cough* :whistle:

When the car was first painted, I had a genuine rev 5 spoiler that I stupidly sold and replaced with a copy TRD item. Madness! :roll:

Anyway, I did a quick comparison before changing anything:

Off topic, but the wheels have since been pushed out 5mm on spacers since these pics were taken. The decision has been made. Sorry rev 3 boot/spoiler, back in the loft you go! :mrgreen:
Last edited by craig on Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Leave the lid out ready for when you get the Combat spoiler though :mrgreen:
craig

Post by craig »

Magic Beans wrote:Leave the lid out ready for when you get the Combat spoiler though :mrgreen:

:mrgreen:

Boot lid is going nowhere. Nice to know I can put it on the car if I wanted to, now it's presentable.
craig

Post by craig »

Few small updates. Just me p1$$ing about really :lol:

Firstly, I got round to removing the genuine US turbo badge from my spare Rev 3 boot lid. I removed all the old adhesive backing, cleaned up the back of the badge and added new double sided 3M backing:

I'd previously made a note of the measurements from the GT-S badge from the old boot lid. So out came the masking tape, pen and ruler.

Badge placement area cleaned, masking tape applied to boot lid as a template. Turbo badge lined up and pressed home, masking tape removed:

Nice, subtle hint of forced induction. :mrgreen:

Next, I turned my attention to the engine lid rain tray and engine bay. I got rid of all stickers from the rain tray that weren't factory. Removed the glue residue, and polished with meguiars:

Much better!

Next, the engine bay. I removed the stickers from the charge cooler core and a chrome Toyota badge from the strut brace. I've left the TRD badge on the right side of the strut brace, as I quite like it.

I used metal polish on the charge cooler core and rear strut brace and Autoglym plastic/rubber polish on the hoses and fuse box cover. I also cleaned the inlet manifold:

Pretty happy with the results. Magic Beans is responsible for making me pull my finger out! :lol:

Next, I got in touch with Rhon on here. I wasn't perfectly happy with my tired factory 23 year old gearknob. So I'm getting it retrimmed in black perforated leather with red stitching.

More to come :D
Last edited by craig on Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

It's good to know I can be a positive influence sometimes. I feel the need to tell all my former teachers from school :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

Magic Beans wrote:It's good to know I can be a positive influence sometimes. I feel the need to tell all my former teachers from school :lol:

Go for it :lol:
Madabout

Post by Madabout »

That engine bay looks mighty tidy.
craig

Post by craig »

Madabout wrote:That engine bay looks mighty tidy.

Cheers buddy, I'm happy with how the car is now shaping up.

I'm currently on with another minor side project for completeness.

The car will soon be going back to YVS to have the next round of previous sbits bodges put right.

Seeing as the exhaust has got to come off anyway to drop the rear subframe, the Blueflame (pretty much same as Mongoose) exhaust will be going on, replacing the current Japspeed. This will mean that only the tailpipes will be visible, with the rest of the exhaust tucked up behind the center diffuser. :thumleft:
androo007

Post by androo007 »

Great looking bay there Craig!

Return to “Member Profiles”